Solved

Clarifying flow filters before merging lists

• 14 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

So I’m about to merge a bunch of lists… I have a segment that is pulling in all the profiles, which i’ll export, then add a specific custom property to each profile which will correspond to a flow filter for flows that are triggered by list membership ( as outlined in this klaviyo doc)

I think I’m pretty much ready to pull the trigger (pun intended) but what I want to clarify is…

If all my current profiles get this new property (I’m calling it “Origin_Merged_Exclude_Trigger” with a value of “Yes”), what does the flow filter do to new profiles that have NO value for this property? Will they still enter the flow as intended? I’m just a bit concerned about the “doesn’t equal”...

Hope this makes sense! Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Dov 14 April 2022, 20:22

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @wernstrom,

Thanks for sharing your question with us.

I’m assuming by “NO” property you’re referring to this property with no existing value? i.e. they have the property Origin_Merged_Exclude Trigger and neither one of Yes or No as the value - its just blank. If that is the case, your current filter will not include these people in the flow. That is because this filter calls for some sort of value to be present. In order to include those people with no value for this property, you’d have to add an “OR” separator and say Origin_Merged_Exclude_Trigger “is empty”. After inserting the “OR” separator, use the “List” data type in the filter to see that “is empty” option for this property.

If you mean “No” as in the value is “No” instead of “Yes”, then they will enter the flow since a value is present, and it isn’t “Yes”.

You can think of a property to be in one of 3 states:

1. Property with a value 
  2. Property with no value
  3. No property and no value

The “equal” and “doesn’t equal” condition only applies to the first scenario. In other words, the state where there is a value which is the case the vast majority of the time. 

We use “is empty” to target a property with no existing value in the second state (list data type).

We use property “is not set” (text data type) to target the third state.

Confusing - I know. But once you get the hang of this, segementation becomes much easier!

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks for clarifying @Dov , yes the first instance is what I was worried about. Since I already have existing flows, I want to make sure that when I merge the lists the new contacts (who had their own separate welcome flows previously) don’t trigger the flow.

At least now, understanding this I can add the flow filter with the “OR” separator in advance, since the majority of the profiles are already in the main list that the others will be merged with, I don’t want to add an additional “No” property to those, it will be much easier to leave them as-is and know that new subscribers will also proceed through the flow as normal. 

It might be worth adding this info about the “OR” separator in the article here, since following this exactly would mean that profiles would get excluded.

Thanks again, that was a really helpful explanation!

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @Dov , correct me if I’m wrong, but could I also use the “is not set” text data type to cover all my bases? so:

Since the only profiles that will have a value set for this property are currently in other lists, and will be merged with the main/master list whose welcome flow will have these filters.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @wernstrom,

Yep that is perfectly fine. So the result will be everyone will be included in this flow unless they have “No” set at the value for Origin. I think that’s in line with what you’re looking for :)