Solved

Collected birthday as text input instead of date input

• 12 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi! When I initially started collecting new profiles in Klaviyo, I included birthday data so I could build up that segment. However, I didn’t realize at the time that I set up that data field as a text input instead of a date input. Before I get too in the weeds with trying to set up the segment (and risk screwing things up even more!), is there a way to work with the data I’ve already collected as a text input? Meaning, can I set up a segment that will pull the correct information each month...or is there a way to correct the data I already have by converting that property to a date vs text?  My thought is to export the profiles into a CSV, correct them and reimport them...but I haven’t dug into this yet to determine if that’s doable or even a viable option.

I have about 25-30 profiles affected by this (and have corrected the signup form so it is now collecting the info as a date).

Thanks so much!

Nan

icon

Best answer by kaila.lawrence 13 February 2024, 18:40

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @Nanette! I’d definitely suggest fixing the data for those 30 profiles now so they don’t cause issue later. The export/import is a great solution to fix the data!

I am curious, though, how did you fix the text property as a date in your signup form? Did you create a new date property? If so, that’s great. From here it’s pretty simple:

1. Export your list
  2. Remove the profiles that are correctly formatted with the date property
  3. Add the proper date format to the incorrect profiles 
  4. Re-import the CSV

It’s worth noting here you won’t be able to delete the text property without help from Support, but in the meantime you can rename it to something distinct and indicates it’s unusable so you don’t get it mixed up with the real date property!

Hope that helps :)

Badge +1

Hey @kaila.lawrence! Thanks for your reply! I am getting to work on the export/import to correct this!  :)  To answer your question, yes...I deleted the text field I had on my forms and replaced it with a date field. I’m just glad I caught it before the list grew any more!!!!

Thanks again!

Cheers!

nan