Solved

Confused about List / Segment Results

• 16 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

Hi, I’ve been going through the introduction to Lists and Segments. I think I understand it, but my results don’t seem accurate.

I have my imported list from Mailchimp that is 6140.

Then I have the default newsletter list that Klaviyo made which is 3164 (I am assuming there is some overlap with the Mailchimp list.)

I tried to do a segment that combined the 2 lists and it came up with 2636. How is that math possible?

(Separate subject but related - should I combine these 2 lists?)

I find this often when I try to do segments. I did a segment of anyone who had clicked on my newsletter in the last 60 days and it gave me 69 people. That’s impossible. Maybe because I was using Mailchimp up until December? That’s maybe why I’m not getting accurate results?

Update: I just checked my settings. I set up integration with Mailchimp when I started Kaviyo, including “Create Klaviyo lists from MailChimp audiences.”

I just tried to do a segment from people on both lists that have clicked an email in since October 2021. It turned up 3 people! That’s impossible!

Thanks for your help.

icon

Best answer by Dov 16 March 2022, 16:52

View original

7 replies

Badge +1

Did you have any contacts in your Klaviyo before?

Badge +4

Did you have any contacts in your Klaviyo before?

I’m not sure what you mean by “before”? I actually signed up for Klaviyo and started integration but continued using Mailchimp for a year!! I know it’s crazy, but I didn’t have time to figure out Klaviyo - kept putting it off for “next month”. I’ve now completely stopped Mailchimp but I’ve only sent out Welcome email flows since November. 

So, I’m now really just getting started with Klaviyo, but it has been synched with Mailchimp and Shopify for quite some time. Does that answer the question?

Badge +4

I just tried another segment - I chose the Mailchimp newsletter list and ran those who clicked at least once in a certain period of time. It had 3 people in the segment!

When I look at my reports in Mailchimp, single campaigns had over 700 clicks - so how is it possible that in Klaviyo I’m getting these results? Is it not integrated? My information is clearly off so I don’t know how to proceed in warming my list if the results are so inaccurate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Leslie Nicole,

Thanks for sharing your questions with us and thank you @Petru Iacob for your input as well.

@Leslie Nicole, jumping back to your original question:

Hi, I’ve been going through the introduction to Lists and Segments. I think I understand it, but my results don’t seem accurate.

I have my imported list from Mailchimp that is 6140.

Then I have the default newsletter list that Klaviyo made which is 3164 (I am assuming there is some overlap with the Mailchimp list.)

I tried to do a segment that combined the 2 lists and it came up with 2636. How is that math possible?

(Separate subject but related - should I combine these 2 lists?)

I find this often when I try to do segments. I did a segment of anyone who had clicked on my newsletter in the last 60 days and it gave me 69 people. That’s impossible. Maybe because I was using Mailchimp up until December? That’s maybe why I’m not getting accurate results?

Update: I just checked my settings. I set up integration with Mailchimp when I started Kaviyo, including “Create Klaviyo lists from MailChimp audiences.”

I just tried to do a segment from people on both lists that have clicked an email in since October 2021. It turned up 3 people! That’s impossible!

Thanks for your help.

Can you double-check that you used an “OR” separator for both your Klaviyo list and your Mailchimp list? As you pointed out, there will likely be some overlap so the number may not equal List A + List B, however it shouldn’t be lower than a standalone list count.

I suspect you used an “AND” separator in your segment definition would would require that the user be in both lists in order to qualify for the segment. That would make sense why the segment would produce 2600 or so contacts. For more information on “AND” vs “OR” I recommend looking at our guide here.

On your follow-up post regarding clicks, this could be a segment definition issue or possibly an integration issue.

Feel free to post a few screenshots of your segment definitions and I’m happy to have a closer look at this.

Badge +4

Hi @Leslie Nicole,

Thanks for sharing your questions with us and thank you @Petru Iacob for your input as well.

Can you double-check that you used an “OR” separator for both your Klaviyo list and your Mailchimp list? 

I was indeed using “and”. I read the article about and/or. That was very helpful.

I still have a lot of digging to do to understand the transition between my Mailchimp / Klaviyo migration. My biggest realisation though is seeing how unhealthy my list has become. No wonder my sales have declined over the years. It’s a good eye-opener to get on track all around with following my analytics, cleaning my list, and attracting new, quality customers. I never took the time in Mailchimp to figure all this out. It felt overwhelming. I don’t know if it’s just that I’m ready to do these things, but it seems easier to figure out in Klaviyo.

Badge +4

Oh, I just figured out something in the segments that I didn’t see!!

When I’m searching for both my Mailchimp list and my Klaviyo list, I have to select a parameter for each list. So If I want to search for people who have clicked 1x over all time, I have to do that for both the Klaviyo list and the Mailchimp list. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Leslie Nicole,

Thanks for your follow-up reply!

On your first point here:

Hi @Leslie Nicole,

Thanks for sharing your questions with us and thank you @Petru Iacob for your input as well.

Can you double-check that you used an “OR” separator for both your Klaviyo list and your Mailchimp list? 

I was indeed using “and”. I read the article about and/or. That was very helpful.

I still have a lot of digging to do to understand the transition between my Mailchimp / Klaviyo migration. My biggest realisation though is seeing how unhealthy my list has become. No wonder my sales have declined over the years. It’s a good eye-opener to get on track all around with following my analytics, cleaning my list, and attracting new, quality customers. I never took the time in Mailchimp to figure all this out. It felt overwhelming. I don’t know if it’s just that I’m ready to do these things, but it seems easier to figure out in Klaviyo.

I’m glad to hear that article was helpful. Indeed, AND/OR separators can be confusing at first but once you get those down it makes segmentation so much easier! I’m also very happy to hear you’re finding it easier to keep your list healthy in Klaviyo. And I hope the community has been a place to help resolve some of those questions. Always feel free to give us a shout if you want any advice and a Klaviyo community manager or another member of the community will be happy to chime in.

And yes! You’re absolutely spot on with your segment definition including both Klaviyo and Mailchimp metrics. If you have Mailchimp data in your Klaviyo account, you’re going to want to use “OR” to amalgamate data from both platforms in your Klaviyo segment to give you a full-overview of email activity.

Depending on how broad you want to get, you can add in “Mailchimp Clicks” or “Mailchimp Rating” into this definition as well. We have an example in our help center documentation for Mailchimp here

We appreciate your participation and thank you for being a member of our community.