Solved

Contacts were synced, now they show as Not Accepting Marketing

• 10 May 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 0 replies

We worked with a Klayvio rep to sync our Shopify and pull in our mailing list. Once that happened, there was an issue with some people getting a confirmation of subscription, even though they had been subscribed for months. We were told this was a glitch because of the double opt in/single opt in information between Shopify and Klayvio, and they apologized.

Now that I’m in our account, it says we have 4,000 profiles and 2 suppressed profiles. When we exported from Mailchimp prior to syncing with Klayvio, we had a total of ~3600; about ~2400 subscribed, ~50 cleaned, ~100 unsubscribed, and the rest non-subscribed. I was told the reason why there were more in total is because Klayvio scrapes more data. That’s not the issue.

The issue is that it seems very clear that the designation each profile has had in Mailchimp has not carried over. Our newsletter list is pulling in ~300, and it appears that thousands of people that were previously opted in now show an opt out. And even of the ones who were cleaned or unsubscribed and should show up in Supressed are clearly not, since there are only two in total.

I am assuming there was some glitch with the sync that the rep did, so I want to delete all the contacts and upload the CSVs manually that I have. They were made 6 days ago so I’ll have to see how many new people have subscribed since then and make sure not to delete those. However, I have two questions:

• If after I delete the incorrectly classified people, I try to manually upload our Subscribed list, is it going to reject then because it will recognize them as having previously existed and having selected Not Opted In and it will look like I’m trying to add them without their permission?
  • Is the same glitch we were told about that happened to us earlier going to happen again, where certain people are going to get double opt in confirmations out of nowhere?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by David To 11 May 2023, 21:20

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @RC99,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

In my experience, this sort of behavior of some users receiving the double opt-in email again is caused by having the Shopify integration setting of sync data back to Shopify enabled - specifically the email/SMS subscription status. 

When net new profiles are being created in Klaviyo as part of a sync such as MailChimp. Klaviyo then pushes those profiles to Shopify where they are updated with consent. That data is then synced back to Klaviyo to the list selected as part of the Shopify integration process. When that list has double opt-in enabled, then a confirmation email would get sent out again. 

Overall, if you were to delete profiles in Klaviyo and then re-import them back to Klaviyo, those profiles shouldn’t be rejected. Instead, Klaviyo would simply see them as net new profiles again. 

Often times, although there is an integration between Klaviyo and MailChimp to migrate data to Klaviyo, I still tend to suggest manually importing contacts from MailChimp to Klaviyo. This allows you better control over your profile management and to ensure those users who have unsubscribed in MailChimp are brought back over to Klaviyo accurately. At the end of the day, MailChimp and Klaviyo are two separate platforms that manage profiles slightly differently.

I hope this helps!

David