Solved

Create segment by $source from subscribe link

• 28 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Ultimately, I want to place a subscribe link in my Instagram stories, and then those customers who sign up to our main list via that link are segmented by having signed up via IG.

I have read through multiple community & support articles but none seem to directly address my situation.

It seems that the best way to do this is to create a segment by $source. ($source would be IG Stories.)

I know I can create a link to the subscribe page, which can be placed on an IG story. However, the $source associated with these signups will just be the Subscribe Page, and isn’t specifically indicating the customers came from IG. (I tested this, and the profile didn’t show that the signup came from IG.)

From another post:

Additionally, if you are using a Klaviyo sign-up form, we will track a $source value along with the form submit. You can create a segment using $source (Properties about someone > $source equals “name of Klaviyo signup form”) AND is in list X to group everyone who has signed-up through this form and joined the list connected to the form. A subscribe page will log a $source value of “Subscribe Page”

However just having “Subscribe Page” as the $source is not granular enough, since we may use that Subscribe Page/URL on other channels.

I don’t want to create a separate list just to have a separate Subscribe Page. I want the customers to sign up to the Newsletter List, and then be segmented by how they signed up (ie via IG).

I know I could create a new Sign Up Form/Landing Page and edit the $source associated with the Submit button ...but I am confused that there is one embed code for all Sign Up Forms created-- and in any case I need a URL that I can add to an IG story, not embed code. Perhaps I use anchor links for this? But I don’t understand how to utilize anchor links.

Is there a better way to do this?

icon

Best answer by David To 1 May 2023, 16:19

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @effiespaper,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

Really appreciate you taking the time to look through past Community posts and our Help Center resources to try to find an answer!

I believe the simplest way to accomplish what you’re trying to do would be what you’ve already mentioned. That is, creating a new Klaviyo signup form that’s linked to your desired list whose $source field indicates it’s from Instagram. You can then embed this form on a landing page on your site. The URL you provide to create an Instagram story would be the URL of the landing page the signup form is embedded in. 

This way, subscribers would still end up on the list you desire and you can then use the $source property as a segmentation definition to identify subscribers who came from this source and is on that particiular list.

Unlike a signup form, subscriber pages are very simplistic forms. Because of this you wouldn’t have the ability to directly assign a source to these forms. 

In regards to embedding a form on your site, I would suggest taking a look at our How to embed a sign-up form on your website Help Center article. Each embed form you create will have a different  <div> code. When you say there’s only “one embed code for all Sign Up Forms created”, I believe you may be confusing that with the Klaviyo.js.

The Klaviyo.js code not only helps with triggering the active onsite event and identifying users, but it’s also the part of the code that allows Klaviyo to publish signup forms on your website. If you are using a native ecommerce integration, this code should already be automatically installed when going through the integration process. If it isn’t and you’re on a custom integration, check out our How to install Klaviyo.js to publish sign-up forms Help Center article. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +1

Thank you for helping me think through this, and for the clarification around the install snippet and the embed code. I was able to install an embedded form on a landing page of my site, and then create a segment based on the $source of that form. Thanks!

Badge +2

Ok but where I can find $source value of my form? this value is the ID of the form or the name?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @DRACONES,

Looks like you’ve made a similar comment on several threads. You can see my reply in the post below:

David