Skip to main content
Solved

Create segment of people who have clicked a campaign which was tagged with [TAG]

• 22 May 2024
  • 6 replies

Context: some of our emails are quite ‘sale! sale! sale!’, others are more nuanced and talk about product quality etc.

We would like to create a segment of subscribers who have interacted with the nuanced emails, but not interacted with the ‘sale sale sale!’ emails.

So far: my immediate thought was to tag our past campaigns as one or the other, and then create a segment of people who have clicked on campaigns tagged with eTAG 1] but not clicked on campaigns tagged with eTAG 2].

Unfortunately I can’t see any option in the filter for ‘What someone has done or not done → clicked email → filter’ for campaigns tagged with.

Yes, I can add a whole load campaign name equals A OR campaign name equals B etc etc, but that strikes me as clunky and the segment definition would need to be updated constantly every time we did another campaign.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers,

G

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Hi @dartacus! Unfortunately it’s not possible to use tags as segment condition filters, though I can definitely see how that would be useful! I can log that request with the product team. 

My question to you is what is your ultimate goal with creating these segments? What do you plan to do with them? Maybe we can work backwards from there.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Thanks Kaila. It would be good if this could be raised as a feature request, please.

To answer your question: my objective here is to segment our mailing list into people who respond better to different tones of voice/content in emails. We suspect that some people respond well to emails which have an offer, and others respond better to emails which prioritise full price products which talk about the quality of the products, etc.

By creating 2 segments - one with people who have read/clicked on our ‘cheapbroguessalesalesale!!!’ type emails (ie, campaigns tagged with tag 1), and another who have read/clicked on our ‘look at these lovely £500+ handmade shoes that we photographed at a posh hotel, only 12 pairs available, would you perchance be interested my good sir or madam?’ (ie, campaigns tagged with tag 2), we can know whether our hypothesis is correct and we’ll be able to target content to the people who are likely to engage with it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @dartacus - I like your strategy and use case here. 

Thanks to @kaila.lawrence for logging the feature request. 

Meanwhile, I believe your best solution at this time would be to add an identifier to the title of each email campaign to effectively group these campaign types (e.g. “-sale” or “-nuanced”). Then, you can create segments based on recipient behavior (opens, clicks, etc) with each campaign type. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@Adam Ragsdale that’s a good shout, thanks.

Seconding the request for this feature! 

I’m going to go through and do it based on campaign title. Just tedious, since it’s like a group of 40 campaigns that I will have to do one by one, since the campaign name needs to “equal” not “include”

Not sure what the point of tags are if we can’t use them for categorizing and manipulating data within the platform. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Apologies for the volume of traffic I’m putting onto this forum right now, but I seem to be having a bit of a klaviyo week at work so I’m noticing things.

In a similar vein to this, yesterday I was asked to create a segment of people who had ordered a certain product line: that particular line is going into flash sale for 24 hours, and my brief was to not send the campaign to anyone who’d bought it at full price recently.

We ended up just not sending it to anyone who’d bought anything at all for the last 7 days, because there’s no way in the segment builder of doing ‘product name like’ or a regex or something: we would have had to put in an OR statement for each of the 14 variations of this product. Only ‘equals’ is allowed. (I know I could create a custom list from my own database and import it, but that’s a faff).

Edge case, but if there’s a feature request list knocking about the dev office somewhere, this would be another nice-to-have please.