Solved

Creating a Segment & Flow For Shopify Account Signup

• 14 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

We recently switched platforms from Magento to Shopify, and at the same time we moved from MailChimp to Klaviyo.

Now that we have the ability for customer account creation on Shopify, we’d like to email our newsletter list and incentivize them to create an account on our website.

The ideal flow would be:

• Email customers that are in our newsletter list and have NOT signed up for an account on our website.
  • Emailed customer goes to our website and creates an account.
  • Email is triggered that gives them the sign-up incentive.

I’m running into a couple of issues. The main one is that there doesn’t seem to be any property that sees if a Shopify account does/does not exist. It seems that this would need to exist for my follow-up email to be triggered - even if I were to manually tag customers with existing accounts to remove them from my segment, that wouldn’t solve how to trigger the follow-up.

How would you solve this? Does it require creating a custom property via API or am I overthinking it?

icon

Best answer by Manny Singh 15 July 2021, 05:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

First off, congrats on making the switch to Shopify and Klaviyo! Those are big moves and ones that I’m sure you won’t regret ;)

Curious, why do you want them to create an account on your site? Do you have a loyalty program that requires it?

The way we do this is that we a tag that gets added to the Shopify customer profile when they create an account on the site.  Here’s an article that explains how to do it:

https://www.blackbeltcommerce.com/add-tag-customer-account-registration-form-shopify/

Then in Klaviyo, that tag will show up under the property: Shopify Tags

You can create a segment that has conditions like: Sent email to sign up AND has the Shopify tag you created.

From there, you can create a flow to Trigger when someone enters that Segment.

Not sure if this is the most efficient way of doing it, but it works!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @AuburnFury,

I would agree with the strategy brought up by @Mailbox Manny that tagging these customers who register an account with you and then triggering a flow off of customers who have this tag would be a great solution!

To give you more context into how Klaviyo handles properties and segment triggered flows, I would recommend taking a look at the following Help Center Article Klaviyo offers on this subject:

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +3

@Mailbox Manny thank you for your help - this makes a lot of sense! Good question about why we want account creation. The overarching idea is that we want to have a better record of who our customers are. We’ve had an eCommerce store for 5 years, but this is the first time we’ve had the ability for customers to create an account, so taking this step would ideally allow us to connect some dots and start building better customer records. We also have a product that can require a level of customer service, if we know more about them when they reach out, we can serve them more efficiently. And as you mentioned, although we don’t have one now, a loyalty program is a possibility in the future.

I think website account creation would fulfill those needs, but there may be different/better approaches, like capturing data within email preferences.