Solved

Disable option to opt out

• 27 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi everyone! How do you turn off the posibility to opt out of certain emails? We want customers to be able to opt out of newsletters, but not out of the emails that are needed for their subscriptions. We offer a meal plan. We'd want to make sure they do receive the delivery confirmations, updates to their menus etc. 

icon

Best answer by ebusiness pros 28 April 2023, 03:48

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @Socialshine,

Welcome to the community!

I appreciate the intent of your idea, but we’re not legally allowed to remove the option to opt out from marketing emails. The people on your list will appreciate you respecting their consent, also. 

One thing you could do is in the very first email of a post-purchase flow, use language that forecasts what people can expect in coming emails. Make it clear you’re there to help, the meal plan is to assist them, and you won’t overwhelm their inboxes with unnecessary marketing emails in that context. That could help you lower unsubscribe rates. 

You could also consider segmenting people who are currently on your meal plans, and excluding them from receiving your marketing campaigns. 

Warmly,

~ Gabrielle, Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead at ebusiness pros

Badge +1

Hi @ebusiness pros, thanks so much for your quick reply! This all makes sense, although I do wonder if those emails would be considered 'marketing emails'. The emails I was talking about are for the customers that actually have a subscription, and we would like to be able to let them know at what time their package will arrive (necessary information for their subscription) even if they opted out of the newsletter (the ones in which we send promos, blogs, info, new product launches, etc). I'm on a subscription based plan myself and if I order something I do still receive the necessary updates even if I no longer wish to receive their newsletter. I think there must be a way, otherwise your only suggestion would be to just send customers those necessary emails and never a marketing email (even if they opted in, in case they opt out)? Thanks again!

Badge +1

@ebusiness pros I think they would be considered transactional emails, but not just the standard 'order', 'sent', 'received'. We will need to send emails for confirming their subscription, for cancelling their subscription, and for any necessary comms in between deliveries (if an article is missing for example). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Socialshine,

I believe this would all depend on the purpose of these emails and the email content themselves. If these emails are not for marketing purposes and are informative in nature, similar to an order confirmation or shipping update email, I can understand them being considered transactional. 

I would still agree with @ebusiness pros though that even with transactional emails, it’s still best practice to allow uses to opt-out of them. 

To learn more about how to get an email marked as transactional, I would recommend taking a look at our How to use flows to send transactional emails Help Center article. 

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

@Socialshine you have good feedback on transactional emails from David.

As for marketing emails/ newsletter campaigns - I’m not saying never send them to this group of people. If people opt in to receive your marketing, campaigns are a valuable piece to complement your flow emails. But what many companies miss is the important of segmenting people so that they don’t receive every single campaign email sent. 

So this is what I’m encouraging you to do - bring attention to what your different campaign emails are, within context of what flow emails people might already be receiving at that time. So for example: if someone’s placed an order within the last 3-7 days, or even as many as 14 days (depending on your purchase cycle) OR if they’ve had a subscription renewal type of event within a similar timeframe, you might want to give them a break from receiving your campaign emails for 2 weeks or so. 

It all depends on the content of the email, if you’re making an offer and the type of offer, and what people’s personal preferences are.

One thing you can also do is give people a prompt to update their email preferences immediately after purchasing a subscription. Then they can tell you what their ideal pacing of newsletter emails is, if they only want to receive “transactional” emails about their subscription, and so on. The important piece is to get your ducks in a row after making that offer to have personal email preferences, and stay consistent about respecting those preferences when you’re creating segments to send campaigns with. 

I hope this helps!

~ Gabrielle