Skip to main content
Solved

Double Opt-In and Shopify POS

• 19 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi all, 

I’m wondering whether it’s possible to require double opt-in for customers who subscribe to our newsletter via the forms on our site, but not require it for people who opt-in when checking out via POS. 

We have a small store and we also do several shows per year. We offer a small gift to people who subscribe to the newsletter upon checkout. However, I recently set up a new welcome flow, and when I was looking to see if it was working as intended, I realized a recent store customer who had accepted marketing when being checked out on the POS, was not in the newsletter list.

His Shopify profile says “accepts marketing”.
His Klayvio profile says Accepts Marketing = True 
His Klayvio Profile also says Email: Never subscribed.  

I’m wondering if this is because he received a double-opt in email and didn’t click it. Which leads me back to my question: it looks like the double opt-in on the newsletter list is either on or off, no in between. Is there any way to have Shopify integrations avoid the double opt-in? Has anyone else run into this? Is there a work around? I was thinking maybe I could make a segment that would capture these emails? But then if I try to add them to the Newsletter list, they’d receive a double opt-in. 

I have the double opt-in set up to prevent bots on the website, which we had a huge problem with in the past, but when we say to a real human standing in front of us “would you like to receive emails?” and they say “yes!” I’d like to make that the whole interaction, and not have to hope that they click the opt-in email later that day! 

Thanks for any insights or advice :) 

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hey @Ellie-457 
Thank you for asking this question here in Klaviyo community,

Although Klaviyo suggests having double-optin for everyone, I would suggest having single optin for all lists and have other measures in place so that the bot profiles don’t harm your deliverability either.

Here is what I suggest

• Change to single-optin for all lists
  • Create a sunset flow which is triggered by a segment with these conditions

Follow these steps to understand what a sunset flow is here at the end of the flow, after the last email, add a time delay of 3 days and ‘Update the profile property’ - “Suppress” equals “true”. This will assign “Suppress” custom property to everyone who still dont engage with your emails.

• Now create a segment called “Cold subscribers” (since they are not engaging we named it Cold subscribers) and at the start of every month, Suppress this segment manually. This will help your clean your lists of subscribers who are unengaged or were bot/fake emails.

another tip - if you find a pattern of emails that you know are fake emails, you can add a flow filter to all your flows - “email doesn’t contain @fakemail.com” and you can also exclude this segment from all your campaigns as well. so essentially they will never get emails from you and wont harm your deliverability. 

Let me know your thoughts and if you have any follow up questions.

I hope this helps

Thanks

Arpit

Badge

Hi @ArpitBanjara 

Thank you so much for your kind and helpful response. This is an interesting approach that I hadn’t thought of! I will give it a try and see how it goes :) 

Ellie