Solved

Emailable profiles

• 10 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
  • Active Contributor IV
  • 42 replies

I want clarification how emailable profiles are populated into my account? Are they people who visited my website or made a certain action?

Do I have permission to email them even if they have not signed up for my emails?

What's the point of generating these profiles that are not subscribers? How I can use them in my marketing?

icon

Best answer by Julia.LiMarzi 10 December 2020, 21:56

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hey @Lina, great question! 

Emails, or what we call “profiles” can be created within Klaviyo when someone subscribes to your email marketing or when they place an order on your site or make an account on your site, and through other API connections. You can find more info on this in our guide to Understanding Who is in Your Account.

However, in order to send them marketing, they must have consented to email marketing, either by filling out an on-site form and joining a list, or by accepting marketing at checkout. 

But it can still be useful to have those profiles in your Klaviyo account for a few reasons:

• You can create segments of all profiles, not just those opted into marketing, using all of the data relating to them, and export that information for analysis to better understand your business.
  • You can create segments and connect them to a Facebook Custom Audience to retarget them with Facebook and Instagram ads, or go a step further and create a lookalike audience to find prospective customers as well.
  • You can customize your transactional emails (order confirmations, shipping confirmations, etc.) on Klaviyo and send them through Klaviyo, even to profiles who did not consent to marketing because these are not considered marketing. This is only possible because Klaviyo stores all emails, not just those consented to marketing.
  • You can also create a segment of all profiles who don’t have email consent and target them with an on-site form to collect consent.
    • But forms can go way beyond collecting consent! You can target people who are not in your newsletter list with forms that direct to popular collections or a new product; or you can highlight a sale happening on-site now that they may be unaware of if they don’t receive your campaigns. 

I hope this answers your question and gives you some inspiration!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Thank you.  Am I allowed to send the abandoned cart emails if the abandoners are not subscribers?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Thank you.  Am I allowed to send the abandoned cart emails if the abandoners are not subscribers?

So this falls under a bit of a gray-zone in the EU and is more generally accepted as ok in the US. The prevailing industry view is yes, you can send abandoned cart emails on the basis of legitimate interest—the profile actively expressed interest by adding something to their cart and starting a checkout. 

That said, it’s good to stick to good abandoned cart practices to ensure your emails aren’t marked as spam — by that I mean they should be timely. We generally recommend limiting an abandoned cart flow to 2-3 email touches within 1-2 days of the original trigger.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Julia.LiMarzi ,

I really liked this thread and I wonder if you could give some insight on this:

You can also create a segment of all profiles who don’t have email consent and target them with an on-site form to collect consent

I would send them a message telling to fill the form? It was not clear for me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hey @vitbarreto, happy to clarify! 

This is a way to target on-site visitors who are not consented to receive email but have a profile within your Klaviyo account. I would only recommend doing this if you really want to try and target this group specifically for some reason. Typically a standard signup form would show to anyone not already on your list (including these non-consenting profiles) and is set to show again after some period of time if they close it without consenting. 

If for some reason you don’t want to show your original form again, or you perhaps just want to try a different form tactic on them, then you can create a segment of these profiles and use it to trigger a different form the next time they visit your site (perhaps a flyout that is less intrusive, assuming they’ve already seen and closed your standard popup form).

We have a doc on using signup forms to offer tiered discounts that walks through how to set this up. Although the practical examples are different, the behavior settings are similar.

Honestly, it’s probably not a great tactic, since a standard popup could potentially collect consent from them in the future, I think I was just on a brain-storming roll haha. I stand by the other form recommendations below it though!