Sticky Tutorial

Engaged Segments

• 21 September 2020
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sending to engaged customers is crucial to being a successful email marketer. We recommend breaking up your Klaviyo subscribers into 30-, 60-, and 90-day engagement groups. If you send daily, we recommend using a 30-day engaged criteria (using opened or clicked email). If you plan to send to subscribers weekly or monthly, extend the timeframe for opens and clicks to 60 or 90 days.

Monitor your open rates using the engagement report.

22 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I agree engaged segments are very important Julie.. what do you think of adding in events like active on site, viewed product, started checkout, and placed order in the last 30, 60, 90 days, etc…?

I personally like adding these website events in since these contacts are also very engaged even if they aren’t being tracked for email opens, which we all know isn’t 100% accurate. 

For warming up IPs is different, but for most flows and campaigns, these are still engaged contacts worth sending emails to in my opinion.. :wink:

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

That’s definitely something you can do --layering in behavioral metrics with Klaviyo open rate data will get you a fantastic segment of customers to track after you have properly warmed your new ESP.  For people just starting, we do recommend sending to the 30-, 60-, and 90-day engaged segments.

How are your open rates with this segment? I’d love to hear if you are seeing success with this engaged segment.

Badge +1

Thanks for the advice! :) 

What about newsletters (we sent them out weekly) - should we send to a total list of our newsletter subscribers or break this down into segments? So far, our open and click rates are above the industry open and click rates :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi Eva-

That’s fantastic!  Your content must be absolutely top notch!  For sending, I generally recommend pushing out your engaged segments by 30 days until your open rate starts to dip below 20% -- for example, if you are sending to your 90-day engaged, you can expand that to 120 days and so on. 

Good luck with Black Friday!

Badge +1

Hi

Maybe a bit naĂŻve question, but why just send to the engaged users? Surely it's a vicious cycle if you only send to engaged, the not engaged will never become engaged?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi

Maybe a bit naĂŻve question, but why just send to the engaged users? Surely it's a vicious cycle if you only send to engaged, the not engaged will never become engaged?

Hey Moor,

You are not wrong here, but deliverability is a balancing act. You cannot only send to engaged users but you also cannot send to everyone all the time. You need to choose when to open your list up to those larger groups. Sales, product launches, and things of those types are emails that get a lot of engagement naturally. So they are great times to send to larger groups of people.

In truth, people are naturally going to fall out of interest with your brand, it’s just a fact of marketing. So for best ROI and to make sure you don’t end up in the spam folder. Keeping a healthy balance of sending to engaged users most of the time, and opening up your list seldomly (to get some unengaged users back into your engaged lists), will help you emails reach the inbox every time.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Keith is spot on!

We always see more engagement and orders when we use engaged segments vs blasting to the full list.. but definitely open up larger campaigns to more people to get them re-engaged.. I even like sending to engaged in 365 days segment once in a while..

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Sending to engaged customers is crucial to being a successful email marketer. We recommend breaking up your Klaviyo subscribers into 30-, 60-, and 90-day engagement groups. If you send daily, we recommend using a 30-day engaged criteria (using opened or clicked email). If you plan to send to subscribers weekly or monthly, extend the timeframe for opens and clicks to 60 or 90 days.

Monitor your open rates using the engagement report.

kvm74_7cEmIL8S-8QbUpLtGulxA6wFkSKP74MJA8rGlFaWihNX9aizSrpWZHC13Oo1iFNpnFRvjez6YWmxDszht921Lh6ik3f22W50ZFJokqExypOxe11YHyMLjAZoeDNgbR6A0s

Hi Julie.

Can you advise me on what type of mail can be sent to this type of segmentation. Campaigns or can you make a flow?

Thanks

Badge +2

Hi Julie,

I know you mentioned segmenting into 30-, 60-, 90- day groups but that will significantly lower our subscriber list from 50k to around 1k.

Right now we are segmenting based on those who clicked our email in the last 18 months since we still want to capture as many people as possible. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @blyw,

This would all really depend on your own marketing strategy and business model. As @Keith Lyons and @Travis has mentioned, it would be a juggling act between balancing reaching out to those highly engaged contacts and those not as engaged. As such, I would not advise continuously reaching out to those contacts who you have segmented as engaged within the last 18 months.

Furthermore, emails that have not engaged for over a year are considered unengaged/invalid. Instead of helping your deliverability and building your sending reputation, you can actually put your deliverability at risk. This was mentioned by @wei.he in a similar Community post which i’ve linked below:

Creating segments with a longer length of time will always garner more contacts. However, the quality of these contacts will be diluted and are often times much less engaged. Since it may sound like you have a large number of unengaged contacts, I would suggest periodically list cleaning to identify these unengaged contacts and to maintain the health of your lists. 

David

Badge +2

Hi @david.to,

Thank you for your reply.

I just completed a list cleaning and now have a segment of “Unengaged Customers - Received 10 Emails” of around 9k members. I also added them to my list of Suppressed Profiles.

When I send out my weekly emails, do I have to exclude this segment of Unengaged Customers/Suppressed Profiles? Or, will Klaviyo automatically skip those 9k members and no further action is needed from me whenever I schedule emails?

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @blyw, 

Happy to hear you complete a list cleaning. That’s awesome! As for your concern about excluding the unengaged segment Klaviyo does it automatically so you don’t need to worry. For best practices I do suggest for you to manually add it to the exclusion group to get a more accurate number of emails you are sending. You can learn more about how to exclude lists or segments which is under the campaign how-to section from the Klaviyo Help Center article.

Maria

Badge +2

Hi @Maria.ramos-esperanza,

I checked my segment of “Unengaged Customers - Received 10 Emails” and it went from 9k members to 0 overnight. Is it because they’ve all been transferred to the list of “Suppressed Profiles”? I assume I won’t have to add this exclusion group when creating campaigns because there’s no members.. 

When I create a new segment, do you recommend adding the definition, “If someone is not suppressed” to ensure that the segment does not include Suppressed Profiles? Or would it be redundant since Klaviyo automatically excludes those unengaged members?

Do you have any other recommendations to increase open rates? A typical campaign sends to 10k recipients but only 1-2k recipients open emails. I’ve tried segmenting to only active members (those who clicked and opened our emails within 18 months), list cleaning and adding members to Suppressed Profiles. 

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @blyw,

Awesome to hear you list cleaned! 

If you were using the example segment profile provided by @Julie Hayes to capture unengaged profiles, because there is a definition within the segment of “If someone is or is not suppressed, person is not suppressed”; since list cleaning this would have caused your unengaged profiles to no longer be captured as they are not suppressed. 

The use of the “If someone is or is not suppressed, person is suppressed” as part of your segments is up to you and your segmentation goals! incorporating this definition rule in your segments will assist in better highlighting the exact number of recipients that are eligible to receive your emails when creating a campaign. Similar to what @Maria.ramos-esperanza had mentioned prior. 

To further improve one’s open rates, I would suggest taking a look at the following resources and guides Klaviyo offers as well as some Community posts made by other members which i’ve included below:

I hope you have a great day!

David

Badge +3

Hi all. Working on sending campaign to engaged segments only but when I completed the filtering I have the same exact number of people in the list as before. What am I doing wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Lolasky40,

I think it would be useful if you can provide a screenshot of the rules you are using to create this segment so other Community members can get a better sense of how your segment is created. However, from my experience, this can be caused accidentally using an OR condition instead of an AND condition within your segmentation rules. Minor things like that can make a world of difference! 

If you need, I’ve included a screenshot from the How to Create an Engaged Segment Help Center article below that details the definitions for an engaged segment:

Keep in mind that the that the last definition in this example of “if someone is in or not in a list, person is in X list and was added in the last 15 days” is meant to capture subscribers who were recently added to your list and may not have opened or clicked an email from you in the past 15 days. If you very recently added an integration (Mailchimp, Constant Contact, etc.), these contacts will be included in the segment, even if they are much older. Thus, only include this OR condition if you have been collecting new subscribers with Klaviyo for 15 days or more.

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I am new to Klaviyo and has just made an integration to my MailChimp account. 

I have then build a 30 days Engaged segment:

Not Suppressed AND
Is in main mailing list AND
Has opened email in last 30 days OR
Has clicked email in last 30 days OR
Has been added to main mailing list in last 15 days

When looking in this segment it is more and less all profiles in my list, that are included in the segment. 

Is this because they are all just added to Klaviyo?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I have found answer to this topic 👍 

Badge +2

I am trying to do a full list clean, I have 35,000 active profiles, which need cleaned up desperately. 

I made an unengaged segment of:

This only gave me 600 profiles- I don’t know how to move them to the suppressed folder and I also don’t know how to tackle the other thousands of names. 

Any Advice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @MorganLee,

That’s a great start to cleaning your list! 

To suppress those you’ve identified as unengaged through your segment, you’ll want to export and import them to your suppressions as mentioned in our How to bulk suppress or delete email contacts in Klaviyo Help Center article. 

Don’t forget to checkout our Understand list cleaning and Maintain clean lists and strong deliverability Academy courses if you haven’t already!

David

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I agree engaged segments are very important Julie.. what do you think of adding in events like active on site, viewed product, started checkout, and placed order in the last 30, 60, 90 days, etc…?

I personally like adding these website events in since these contacts are also very engaged even if they aren’t being tracked for email opens, which we all know isn’t 100% accurate. 

For warming up IPs is different, but for most flows and campaigns, these are still engaged contacts worth sending emails to in my opinion.. :wink:

Just a thought if we add Active on Site those we need also to add Checkout Started and Viewed Product right?

• Added to Cart metric is created when a customer (who has previously been cookied by Klaviyo) adds an item to their cart. 
  • Active on Site metric is created when a customer (who has previously been cookied by Klaviyo) visits your site. 
  • Viewed Product metric is created when a customer (who has previously been cookied by Klaviyo) views a product in your store. 

Also in regards of engaged segment what you think about including also new users created recently just to not abandon them after they end welcome series even if they don't interact yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Jakub,

I think it would really depend on what you’re trying to track and how you define an engaged profile. For example, if you only counted profiles/visitors who took action on your site as an engaged profile, then you may not want to include the Active onsite metric in your segment. But you may want to include Checkout Started and Viewed Product. 

On the other hand, if you wanted just a broad segment of engaged profiles, using the active onsite metric could be used as a catch-all. 

In my opinion, I tend to suggest using more specificity when defining engagement.

David