Solved

Excluding people that are in welcome flow

Badge +2

Hello, I’ve just started setting up some of my flows, including my welcome flow. I send out mini campaigns every week, and would like to exclude anyone that’s in the welcome flow so they don’t get the campaign emails just yet. I know I can exclude certain segments from the campaign but how do I go about creating a segment of anyone that’s in the welcome flow? I couldn’t see an option for ‘Is in X flow’ within the segments builder, what’s the best (neatest/easiest!) way to do this?

Thanks,

Meeta

icon

Best answer by Edgar Emmanuel 14 July 2022, 13:40

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +30

The cleanest way I achieve this is two ways depending on the rules of your Welcome Flow.

1 - Putting a flow filter in your other flows that the Properties About Someone - Created - Is not in the last X days (And the days would match the length of your Welcome Flow).

2 - The other way is to add a profile property update in the beginning of your Welcome Flow so that it can mark that user’s profile property, something like ‘Welcome Flow’ is TRUE. And then clearing that profile property at the end of the flow when they go to exit. Then over your in other flows, you can again say Properties About Someone - FIELD - Is not TRUE.

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @meetapapersandgems , thank you for sharing with the community.

The first thing you need to do is create a label for subscribers in the welcome email flow, and then you’d be able to exclude them from your campaigns.

You are going to update the profile property of these customers.

In your welcome email flow, drag the “Update Profile Property” block to the beginning of the flow before the first email. Select “Create New Property” as the property action .

For the Property Label, input “In Flow” and for the Property Value, input “Welcome”. This is an example I created here for you;

Now, if in future you want to exclude subscribers in a particular flow, all you need to do is input the Flow’s title as the property value since you have already created the label here;

At the end of your Welcome Email Flow, drag the “Update Profile Property” block again after the last email. This time select “Remove existing property” as property action.

You’d notice that the property value you assigned at the beginning doesn’t show in the drop down option of the “Remove existing Property” or in the segment builder in Klaviyo. This is become Klaviyo will update this when at least one profile in your account has the new property “in Flow” value (which is welcome) assigned to it. In other words, when at least one subscriber enter the welcome email flow.

Here’s the final step:

Once a Profile now has the property assigned, you can now create a segment for them.

In the “Properties about someone” » In Flow equals “Welcome”

Then, exclude them from your campaigns you are sending.

You can check this article on more info about Updating Profile Property.

Best regards,

Edgar

Badge +2

Hi @meetapapersandgems , thank you for sharing with the community.

The first thing you need to do is create a label for subscribers in the welcome email flow, and then you’d be able to exclude them from your campaigns.

You are going to update the profile property of these customers.

In your welcome email flow, drag the “Update Profile Property” block to the beginning of the flow before the first email. Select “Create New Property” as the property action .

For the Property Label, input “In Flow” and for the Property Value, input “Welcome”. This is an example I created here for you;

Now, if in future you want to exclude subscribers in a particular flow, all you need to do is input the Flow’s title as the property value since you have already created the label here;

At the end of your Welcome Email Flow, drag the “Update Profile Property” block again after the last email. This time select “Remove existing property” as property action.

You’d notice that the property value you assigned at the beginning doesn’t show in the drop down option of the “Remove existing Property” or in the segment builder in Klaviyo. This is become Klaviyo will update this when at least one profile in your account has the new property “in Flow” value (which is welcome) assigned to it. In other words, when at least one subscriber enter the welcome email flow.

Here’s the final step:

Once a Profile now has the property assigned, you can now create a segment for them.

In the “Properties about someone” » In Flow equals “Welcome”

Then, exclude them from your campaigns you are sending.

You can check this article on more info about Updating Profile Property.

Best regards,

Edgar

Hey @Edgar Emmanuel - this is massively helpful and what I was looking for- thank you so much! Can I just ask, where you say to remove the profile property at the end of the flow, I’ve done that (using a test email address where the profile property is assigned at the start) but it doesn’t allow me to add/choose any further text about the profile property name that I’d like to remove at the end of the flow? I only get the following. The is no option to remove ‘Welcome’ which I assigned at the start. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Meeta

Badge +2

The cleanest way I achieve this is two ways depending on the rules of your Welcome Flow.

1 - Putting a flow filter in your other flows that the Properties About Someone - Created - Is not in the last X days (And the days would match the length of your Welcome Flow).

2 - The other way is to add a profile property update in the beginning of your Welcome Flow so that it can mark that user’s profile property, something like ‘Welcome Flow’ is TRUE. And then clearing that profile property at the end of the flow when they go to exit. Then over your in other flows, you can again say Properties About Someone - FIELD - Is not TRUE.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for this. that second option looks like just what I need! I can’t seem to add text to say ‘Is not True, - there’s no option to add any additional words? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +30

Hope that helps!

Thanks for this. that second option looks like just what I need! I can’t seem to add text to say ‘Is not True, - there’s no option to add any additional words? 

In the flow you want to filter them out of, it’d look something like this below depending on what field name and value you created. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hey @meetapapersandgems , I’m so glad you found this very helpful. Yes, you are on the right track. You’d only have to input the property label In Flow you assigned at the beginning.

You can now send your campaigns and exclude them from your mails.

Take care.

Badge +2

Thanks @Edgar Emmanuel ! I appreciate your help, thanks so much for clarifying this!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

What about profiles that drop out of the  welcome flow prior to completing the full flow due to making a purchase? Using  the Update Profile Property method suggested above wouldn’t these profiles be permanently labeled as In Flow  and thus not receive any campaign emails moving forward?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Scott S,

I would try work with positioning within that flow so that customers only receive the tag if they complete the flow by adding it as a last step. Or by creating a conditional statement that would path people differently in your welcome flow based on purchases.

Badge +4

Hi, this helped me as well thanks! Is there a way to do this to exclude people who have recently  purchased too? I want to sent a flash sale campaign but don’t want it to go to people who have just  paid full price! 

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @brewcrew ,

Glad this thread was useful. That would depend on how you track those customers who have purchased. If there is a property that is added to them or some segment of buyers, then you could just create a flow to exclude those people. Another way would be to add a filter that excludes those that have placed an order within a certain time frame. 

Badge +4

Hi @brewcrew ,

Glad this thread was useful. That would depend on how you track those customers who have purchased. If there is a property that is added to them or some segment of buyers, then you could just create a flow to exclude those people. Another way would be to add a filter that excludes those that have placed an order within a certain time frame. 

Thanks Alex, how do you add an exclusion filter for a campaign?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hello @brewcrew ,

You're able to add a Flow Filter to your current Flow to filter the Flow to specific customers and in this case, to those who haven't received that specific Campaign email. This definition would look like what someone has done or not done > Person has > Received Email where > Message > equals > *Campaign Email Name* > zero times > over all time

You'll want to be sure its set where an individual has not received that email (zero times) to ensure that the audience filters into your Flow vs those who have received the email.

Badge +4

Hi Alex, I’m looking to exclude people from a campaign that have been through a flow, or made a purchase, so the other way round!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hello @brewcrew ,

First, you'll need to add an Update Profile Property step to the Flow you want identify profiles who are currently actively in that Flow. This step will add a custom property to a profile where you can filter for properties about someone being 'In Flow'

Below are steps on how to accomplish that:

Select Update Profile Property in the action buttons options and add this step right after the Trigger when someone enters the Flow.

Create New Property

Once this is step is added to your Flow this property will automatically be added to whatever profile enters the Flow. You can then create a segment filtering for that profile property. 
You can then exclude that specific segment from your campaign send: How to Exclude Lists or Segments from a Campaign Send

Badge +4

Got it thanks! If I wanted to update this profile property to then update when they completed the flow, would I have to wait for the flow to go live and for someone to enter the flow? As I can’t see an option for it at the moment?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

@brewcrew ,

It is just another step you add to the flow. The update step would just be placed at the end.

Badge +4

@brewcrew ,

It is just another step you add to the flow. The update step would just be placed at the end.

Hi Alex, I understand this, however I can’t see an option for this at the moment, is this because the flow isn’t live yet and no one has entered it yet?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hello @brewcrew ,

Can you clarify what you mean when you mean when you can't see an option? Are you talking about the dropdown dimension? If so, that means no one has been in the flow yet as our dimensions to filter are only available based on things that have already happened. The Update Profile Property step in our flows wouldn't matter if the flow was Live or in Draft and that the Update Profile Property action should be available like any other action for a flow.

Badge +4

Hello @brewcrew ,

Can you clarify what you mean when you mean when you can't see an option? Are you talking about the dropdown dimension? If so, that means no one has been in the flow yet as our dimensions to filter are only available based on things that have already happened. The Update Profile Property step in our flows wouldn't matter if the flow was Live or in Draft and that the Update Profile Property action should be available like any other action for a flow.

Hi Alex, yep I’m talking about the dropdown dimension. So I can only set up the flow to remove people from the list when someone has entered the flow?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Yes @brewcrew the way our flows and their filters are set up some need contacts to enter before we can populate dropdown options.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I have set up the flow as explained, but can’t see how to exclude those people from the campaign - ‘don’t send to’ is only a list or a segment? Could you please show me where/how to exclude them? Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

@Bonza Dog Treats ,

If you want to exclude subscribers still part of a flow when you send out the campaign emails, what you can do is tag them with a profile property when they enter the flow. Once you tag them, only users that enter this flow have this property, for example, Welcome Series equals True. Now that these people have been tagged, when we go to schedule and send campaigns, all we have to do is create a segment of those with this profile property tag and exclude sends to them. At the end of your flow, you'll want to remove the profile property tag. 

You would need to add a Create Profile Property action to the beginning of the Flow, and then a Remove Profile Property to the end. You can then use this temporary Property as a Segment definition as it will only apply while a customer is in the Flow path. 

Here's a visual look:

?name=inline549476153.png

You can then build a Segment with the following definition:
Properties about someone Flow equals Welcome

?name=inline-1937579924.png

This will pull everyone with that value into a Segment; after they exit the Flow and the property is removed, they will no longer be a member of the Segment. 

Hope that helped,

Alex

Badge +5

You've all said exactly how to exclude welcome accounts from other flows or campaigns, but the really correct way is another.

Surely inserting a new property and deleting it at the end of the flow is the correct way, but have you ever thought that if a user enters the welcome series and the welcome filters are set, it will be all those who have not placed an order, from the moment the user will place an order before the end of the flow, will the ownership never be removed?

So my advice is to remove the property even if the user has made the first order, inserting the removal within the post-purchase flow.

What I'm saying always depends on how you set up the welcome series flow, for example for my ecommerce I don't want to send more welcome emails if the user buys and for this I had to insert a property removal both at the end of the welcome flow (if he does not purchase) the purchase trigger is triggered.

In this way we will have the possibility to communicate correctly with users once they leave the flow.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

You've all said exactly how to exclude welcome accounts from other flows or campaigns, but the really correct way is another.

Surely inserting a new property and deleting it at the end of the flow is the correct way, but have you ever thought that if a user enters the welcome series and the welcome filters are set, it will be all those who have not placed an order, from the moment the user will place an order before the end of the flow, will the ownership never be removed?

So my advice is to remove the property even if the user has made the first order, inserting the removal within the post-purchase flow.

What I'm saying always depends on how you set up the welcome series flow, for example for my ecommerce I don't want to send more welcome emails if the user buys and for this I had to insert a property removal both at the end of the welcome flow (if he does not purchase) the purchase trigger is triggered.

In this way we will have the possibility to communicate correctly with users once they leave the flow.

I found the easiest way to deal with that is to place a conditional split before each email in my welcome flow. If an order has been placed since entering the flow, the In Flow property is removed and they exit the flow at that point. They are then included in any relevant other flows or campaigns.