Skip to main content

We typically send to a smaller engaged list (opened or clicked in the last 90 days), and every so often we’ll open that up to last 365 – pretty standard. What if instead you could include the 365 segment on every campaign, but choose to send to a random sample of say 5%?

This would also be extremely helpful for re-engagement. We’ve inherited client accounts that have large segments of people that are worth trying to re-engage, and we end up making a large number of batches – take a random sample of 1000, exclude the main segment to exclude that sample, repeat like 20 times. It would be so much easier if we could just create the segment we want to try to engage, then include that segment on every campaign for a few months, sending to 5% or so every time.

I’m also curious if anyone has better ways of achieving these things than the methods I described?

Hey @foundationjosh! This is great. I’m going to pull in some of our Champions to advise further, but I’ve noted this down to our product team. 

@ebusiness pros @KatherineB @DavidV 

Thank you Kaila!

Hi @foundationjosh! At this point, the best native Klaviyo feature to accomplish the list reactivation outreach you’re describing is the “random sample” feature to create sub-segments you can send campaigns to, as you’re already doing.  

My agency has a proprietary list reactivation process I won’t share in detail here, but if you’re looking for a way to automate outreach to cold segments of a client’s database, I encourage you to consider how you can leverage flows instead of (or in addition to) campaigns. 

@KatherineB has previously shared an interesting idea called a “waterfall flow” where you use a cold segment as the flow trigger, then use conditional splits with the “random sample” feature to drip out the same email content to a small percentage at a time. Perhaps that sufficiently solves what you’re trying to accomplish?

Otherwise, I encourage you to first think about list cleaning as well while doing this. Often a quick list scoring can identify undeliverable, risky, and emails with an “unknown” status that help break up your segments from that baseline. You can then make a choice to either suppress all emails that are not confirmed as deliverable OR make a judgment call about how often and when to reach out to “risky” or “unknown” emails. That helps you break up segments into a percentage with more precision in who are the highest priority people to reactivate first. 

My preferred tool for this is called Emailable. They also have a helpful new status that can identify whether or not someone’s mailbox is full, so you can better understand why emails might be bouncing. 

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Thank you very much for all the info, Gabrielle! I like the “waterfall flow” idea, definitely worth some experiments. We’ve used Emailable before too :)

You’re welcome @foundationjosh! Glad to hear you found it helpful.