Solved

Gifting Segment?🤔

• 18 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Like many other subscription companies, we sell pre-paid gift subscriptions (ex: 3mo membership).

The problem with selling gifts, is that its hard to know when a gift is for self (its on sale)/or gift to someone else. 

We’re banking on an idea that we can segment Gifting customers based on discrepancy between their billing address vs shipping address. Or their purchase IP location vs shipping address. 

Ex:
Gift To Self - I buy Gift from one place, send it to same place. 
Gift to Loved One - I buy Gift from one place, but send it to another place. 

I’m struggling to find customer profile properties to create these two segments, any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by julie.accardo 20 March 2021, 15:32

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +34

Hi @Andriy Rudnyk,

As this guide outlines, while there may be a lot of properties that sync with a given event - think placed order event syncs the properties address, item name, item URL, item price, etc. - the ability to segment off of event properties has to do with how this data is structured. We are only able to segment off of top-level event properties. This could explain why you are unable to segment off of certain properties passing with an event. We can, however, still use the non top-level properties by pulling that data into an email template - think adding first name to an email. 

If you find that your inability to segment off of certain event properties is inhibiting your ability to execute a particular use case, you do have the option, with the support of a developer,  to pass custom events to Klaviyo. By doing this, you have full control over the event properties that pass as top-level properties. You can see if you are able to apply logic within your ecommerce platform to identify the matching billing/shipping address and then push to Klaviyo an event property associated with a specific purchase so that you know if the purchasewas for self or for another. You could then create segments off of this event property or use this property as a trigger filter in a flow to ensure different communication for either audience post purchase.

Hope this helps!

Julie