Solved

How Can I Use "Update_Property_Link" tag to Add a Profile Property?

• 17 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi there!

I’m trying to create a profile property and running into a problem.  Hoping you can help.

I have a list set up triggered by an email opt in on a landing page.

At the 3rd email in the flow I want to give the customer a button to sign up for a waitlist.  I have built this out and used the code provided here is what I have:

{% update_property_link 'waitlist' 'true' 'https://waitlist.glampingoutsidethebox.com/p/survey_results' %}

When I preview and test, it I get a place holder message one one computer.  I also tested it on another computer and it tells me the site is not secure.  Can you take a look and tell me if I have the code incorrect?

What I’m trying to do is once they click on the waitlist button it will separate them from that list and put them into a new list.  What is the best way to do this?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by caroline 18 January 2021, 22:32

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi there,

Your code looks good to me, but I would suggest sending a preview email to yourself in order to test. Since the functionality of that Django filter is to update a customer’s profile, you may need to actually send an email in order to test.

Additionally, I wanted to provide a quick definition of this filter for anyone reading who might not be sure of the intended purpose.

update_property_link

Use this tag to create a link which will add a profile property to a profile. On addition of the property, redirect the user to either the default Klaviyo thank you page or the supplied url. update_property_link takes at least three arguments: the profile property, the value, and a redirect link.

Example

{% update_property_link ‘PROFILE_PROPERTY’ ‘Profile Property Value’ ‘https://google.com’ %}

Best,

Caroline

Badge +2

I need to do this too but am not very familiar with properties. Can someone please tell me how to even create the property and then the value?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @embalmskincare,

Thank you for your follow up question on how to create custom profile properties and their associated value. They are a great way to customize your target audiences.

Custom properties are fields that you can use to store information about the contacts in your account. Here are several examples of how you might use custom properties:

• To collect additional information about your contacts, such as gender, size, coupon code, etc.
  • To collect contacts' preferences, such as email frequency, type of content, etc.
  • To collect contacts' responses to a questionnaire

You can collect virtually any type of information you'd like about a contact using custom properties, and then later use this information to tailor content, create segments, or filter flows. There is no limit to the number of custom properties that can be added to one profile.

About Custom Properties talks through how to add custom properties and how to use them once created. @Johndsn33 has a community post that asks this very question with multiple responses on best practices using profile properties. 

I hope this helps give you a strong start into creating custom profile properties! Thank you for being a member of the Klaviyo Community!

Badge +3

Hi,

I’m having the same issue as Lisa above… I entered: {% update_property_link 'BFCM' 'YES' 'https://nommaternity.com/pages/get-on-the-list' %} but the link, even in a preview email is sending me to a place holder page. Is there a way to confirm that the placeholder page will redirect?

thank you!

Badge +1

Hello,

I’m also having the same issue. Did the tag coding changed with the new Klaviyo editor?

The code provided by you is supposed to update and/or create a new property to the profile that clicks on the button or link with that code. I tried to preview and test and it says that I have invalid template tags or variables . Then I followed the suggestion above and tried to send a test to my personal email, but due to the ‘’invalid tags’’ Klaviyo didn’t allow me to send the test email. I tried both button and link, and none of them works.

Anyone could give an insight on the situation?

Thank you in advance <3 
Ana

Badge +1

Jessie Kaye I had the same issue. The only way to test the real redirecting page for me was creating a test campaign addressed only to myself and checking wether the link was the one I wanted.

Did you find a simpler way?