Skip to main content

Me again!  
Thanks to the help on here I’ve got my new Klaviyo account set up and working, so thanks so much!  
In fact the emails have gone down so well that I’ve actually had people request to be on my other two lists as well!  This has never happened before!

So now I need to figure out how, and so wondered if I can pick your brains again?

I have 3 lists - Business, cosmetic formulation and Product information.
I have the same categories as segments - business, formulation and products.

When someone joins a particular list they get the property ‘Interest =’  either business, formulation or products.  This puts them in the correct segment.

I then send relevant emails to their relevant segments.

The people asking need to go in all 3 segments.  I can’t see a way to manually add them?  and I can only seem to add 1 x interest property to each profile.

If someone can help with how I’d achieve this?  Thanks in advance.

Hi @JennaMcNa 

Great results!

Contacts are only added to a segment if they meet the conditions you set.

Given what you’ve described and the fact that contacts can have more than one interest, I’d amend the sign-up form and use an interest custom property but as a list data-type (so it can hold multiple values)

On the form, use a multi-checkbox input field with your three options as values (see the example below). The contact can select one or more of these interest options, which will add them to the appropriate segment(s) e.g the formulation segment conditions would include ‘area_of_interest contains formulation’.

If needed, you can also manually add a value to a contact’s interest custom property (as it’s now a list data type) which will add them to the appropriate interest segment.

As a side note, I’d consider using one master email list and the segments for your campaigns. That is also Klaviyo’s recommendation unless there are compelling reasons to have multiple email lists.

If you have flows triggered from list membership and messages tailored to their interest, you can still achieve that using a single master list and the values in the custom property as a flow profile filter or with conditional splits within the flow.

Hope that helps but if you have any questions, or if I’ve misunderstood anything, please let me know

Regards

Andy 

Form custom property

Hi @JennaMcNa 

Great results!

Contacts are only added to a segment if they meet the conditions you set.

Given what you’ve described and the fact that contacts can have more than one interest, I’d amend the sign-up form and use an interest custom property but as a list data-type (so it can hold multiple values)

On the form, use a multi-checkbox input field with your three options as values (see the example below). The contact can select one or more of these interest options, which will add them to the appropriate segment(s) e.g the formulation segment conditions would include ‘area_of_interest contains formulation’.

If needed, you can also manually add a value to a contact’s interest custom property (as it’s now a list data type) which will add them to the appropriate interest segment.

As a side note, I’d consider using one master email list and the segments for your campaigns. That is also Klaviyo’s recommendation unless there are compelling reasons to have multiple email lists.

If you have flows triggered from list membership and messages tailored to their interest, you can still achieve that using a single master list and the values in the custom property as a flow profile filter or with conditional splits within the flow.

Hope that helps but if you have any questions, or if I’ve misunderstood anything, please let me know

Regards

Andy 

Form custom property

Thank you for this, I’m going to read through it slowly and see how that would work for what I need :)

I actually have a sign up pop up with options set as radio buttons, so having the option to pick more than one will be more beneficial, so I’ll look into that and then adding the new property to the customers who have asked to get all emails if I’ve understood what you said correctly.

I do have a master list and master segment, but use that to send emails that every needs to hear about such as promotions and launches.  So I’d still need certain topics to go to certain people so the master list wouldn’t help in this particular case.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this.

No problem @JennaMcNa - any questions, let me know.

Just to clarify, you will still be able to tailor messages with a single master email list. You just use segments based on specific events, custom property values etc. I rarely send campaigns to lists, only to multiple segments.

Hope you get it sorted OK!

Regards

Andy

No problem @JennaMcNa - any questions, let me know.

Just to clarify, you will still be able to tailor messages with a single master email list. You just use segments based on specific events, custom property values etc. I rarely send campaigns to lists, only to multiple segments.

Hope you get it sorted OK!

Regards

Andy

Thanks, yes i have segments and lists because I needed landing pages which are only available to create with lists, so I think have a flow set up so that anyone who signs up to Business list is put in business segment.  I only send to segments.  Still getting my head around Klaviyo and it’s so much more customisable that I’m used to.