Solved

How to Defined Engaged Segment

• 30 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi All

I run an online sunglasses and prescription eyewear store.

Our customers are not frequent purchasers and in many cases their purchase follow stheir 24 month recall for eye exam from their Optometrist. Others will buy a pair of non prescription sunglasses each spring. Of course we have outliers and are doing our best to increase shopping frequency, however this is the general rule.

My question is regarding list size. We are collecting a lot of sign ups and as you will be aware Klaviyo can get quite expensive. This allied to the fact that you dont want to be sending emails to folks who never or who have stopped opening I would like advice on how to define what an engaged profile is.

This would be so different from a daily news email to a realtor and every other business lies somewhere between.

I would love your suggestions bearing in mind that we work within  a 24 month cycle for prescription eyewear should we consider anyone who has opened one of our ( monthly ) emails in the last 12 months or clicked on an email in last 15 months or should we get much tighter and make it open in 3 months or clicked in 6?

I look forward to your thoughts...

Sean

icon

Best answer by Ashley I. 31 January 2024, 03:04

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hi @SeanMcC! I think one other question I have for this is how many emails are you sending? This could change what I would suggest. If you are sending a couple emails a month, then I think the 3 month email segment would work, but if you are sending out monthly emails, I think you’d want a longer engagement window.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi @chelsgrove Thansk for your reply. Due to the length of repurchase cycle it is no more than one per month outside of BFCM of course ;)

Sean

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Hi @SeanMcC !

With your current sending frequency, I would recommend building 30, 60, and 90-day engaged segments in Klaviyo. These will capture your most engaged users who are most likely to continue interacting with your brand. 

For more details on how to create these segments, you can check out this Help Center article, or there is a great tutorial here on the Community for how to do this: 

You can also, of course, expand these into 180 or 365-day engaged segments if you find those are better suited to your customers’ buying journeys. And adjustments can also be made if you find these segments to be too restrictive on the volume of subscribers that meet the definition of the segments. 

Hope this helps! 

I’ll let @chelsgrove chime in here as well with her insights :)

--

Ashley Ismailovski

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @SeanMcC!

You have great recommendations from @chelsgrove and @Ashley I. to help you get started. 

There’s one more thing I’d encourage you to work into this segment strategy: take a closer look at whether or not someone’s placed an order with you, especially when it comes to colder segments. 

So within the 30-60-90-180 day windows, you might also evaluate if someone has Placed Order 0 times over all time, at least once, at least twice, etc. 

You might find there are people in the 180 day group of engagement with emails that have purchased 2+ times. Sometimes these people have a higher level of engagement than a subscriber with 0 orders that’s opening and clicking your emails within the last 90 days. 

It will take some time to build all these different segments (cloning segments and revising some conditions helps speed it up). But once you take the time to understand how your list breaks down, and the ratios of your prospects that are more or less engaged, and your customers that are more or less engaged, you’ll gain useful insight into your list. 

That will help you shape your campaign sending strategy with more confidence. You might also find a few opportunities for flow! You’ll start to see scenarios like nurturing a 1x customer to come back for another pair of glasses, recommending sunglasses to those who’ve only bought prescription glasses, etc. 

Warmly,

Gabrielle