Skip to main content
Solved

How to engage old SMS subscribers that have never been sent an SMS

• 1 July 2024
  • 5 replies

My client has collected a rather large number of SMS subscribers over the years. The subscribers have consented for their phone numbers to be used for the purpose of offers. 

What would your advice be on what action steps to take to engage these customers via SMS to generate some extra revenue for the business?

Some context: the brand currently does not have SMS marketing set up. For the sake of this answer, please assume that they do. I’m interested in hearing how you would engage this dormant list without triggering any spam complaints/annoying customers etc.

Thanks!

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Hey @GV123! This is a great question. I’m going to loop in some of our Champions to offer their advice here: @ebusiness pros @bluesnapper @Omar @DavidV  

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @GV123

@kaila.lawrence  Jumping in to help….

I have a few questions…

• Where were these SMS leads originally sourced from? For instance, were they collected through online purchases, in-store sign-ups, events, or another method?

• What services or products do you sell?

I would first segment by those have purchased (multiple purchases, one-time purchase and non-buyers). Then tailor the message to their behavior based on your data analysis. 

Then I would start with a friendly re-introduction message to remind subscribers who you are and the value you bring.

It’s important to understand where they are in the customer journey so you can address them from that point forward.

Hope that helps!
Alexandra

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @AlexandraPalau ,

Thanks for popping in.

I’m going to assume that all of the leads were acquired by opting in at the checkout for SMS.

The store sells wollen jumpers with a cultural significance. 

Would you see any problem in sending the first SMS marketing message even a couple of years after the initial capture?

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!

Gary

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

@GV123 

Hello! Thank you for the additional insight. 

I don’t see a problem sending them an SMS message but I would segment by time frame (ex. 3 years ago, 2 years ago, etc to see how they respond - I like data LOL). Remind them they subscribed to SMS a while back and give them the opportunity to easily opt-out by telling them to reply STOP or something along those lines. You can also consider giving them a promo code or incentive to remain with you. The more direct and transparent you are, the better. 

Hope that helps!
Alexandra :) 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@AlexandraPalau yes! This seems like the most effective and transparent way to do it. Thank you so much for your help with this.