Solved

Importing an unused list of subscribers. Best practice suggestions?

• 26 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone,

I am looking to import a list of subscribers into Klaviyo.  This list was put together over the last 4 years with a form for the person to subscribe to a newsletter.  Double opt in was required.

These subscribers never received any newsletters.  Some of them are recent sign ups while others are much older (> 6 mo).  Also, this list remains in the same company, with the same target audience and purpose.

My questions are:

• What are best practices in this case?
  • Do I request approval from everyone in the list? (even if they signed up recently?)
  • Do I request approval from people after a certain date in the past?
  • Are there risks of using this list now?

Thank you!  Have a great day and I appreciate your comments.

icon

Best answer by Dov 27 January 2022, 04:22

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @didier.donne,

Thank you for sharing this question with the Community.

For starters, one of my colleagues, Wei has put out an FAQ on this topic in the community you may find that helpful to review:

I will also throw in my two cents here :) You don’t necessarily have to request approval again from everyone in the list (since they’ve all consented, some more recently than others), but I would approach emailing the older sign-ups in a different way than the newer ones. The key idea to keep in mind is prior user engagement.

If you have past engagement metrics for these users outside of Klaviyo, my first piece of advice is to import this list of users and include any and all past engagement data in the import i.e. how many orders they have placed, if they’ve opened or clicked past emails, if you have this information available elsewhere. The rationale here is we want organize these users based on their past engagement to build segments in Klaviyo. Typically, this would be done using Klaviyo metrics i.e opens and clicks, but the other way to achieve this is by including these data points in a .csv import which will post them to the profile as custom properties

If you do not have any engagement information for these users: (orders placed, products viewed, opens, clicks etc.) which sounds like it may be the case, you should at least import a property to represent if the user joined the list in the last 30, 60 or 90+ days ago. Essentially dividing this list up into 3 camps. That will allow us to at least segment the users based on their joined date, in lieu of other engagement criteria. Not ideal but something we can work with. You should be the most cautious emailing the oldest contacts. While there are no “hard set” rules on when consent “expires”, if there is no engagement data to say otherwise, I would consider anybody who joined 60+ days ago an unengaged user and consider marketing to them using the strategies outlined in our document on running a re-engagement campaign using the date they joined (60 OR 90+ days ago) as the defining feature in the segment. Since you’re uploading this data, it would be defined like the following: properties about someone > date joined list = 60 days ago OR properties about someone > date joined list = 90+ days ago.

I also recommend checking out these flows for re-engaging and sunsetting older subscribers: 

For the recent sign-ups segment (30 days or less) I’d consider putting them through a welcome series to introduce them to your brand’s story and offerings. Also set-up an engaged segment to send to them as you gather more engagement data from flow sends. The welcome series strategy could work for older sign-ups too since it’s been a while and they may no longer be familiar with your brand’s story and products. I’d consider pushing older contacts through this series if you’ve made any changes to your branding or product line since the time you started developing this list. You may even want to consider building two separate welcome series’ with slightly different tones, catered to each audience.

I’d recommend reading through this section in the welcome series doc for more information on that. To retroactively put users into a welcome type flow, you’d need to back-populate it. I explain that concept in the thread below in detail:

Look into getting other essential flows up and running too if you haven’t already.  I’d also recommend starting by sending exclusively to your engaged (joined list in the last 30) for your first few campaigns to those users.

Lastly, consider taking a look at this community post to understand how to warm your sending infrastructure and ensure good deliverability rates! 

I hope that’s helpful. Looking forward to hearing other user’s advice and strategies on this as well!

Hi @Dov ,

Thank you very much for your reply.  There’s a ton of great information here and I’ll be going through all of it this week.

Thanks!