Skip to main content
Solved

Is it possible to segment based on what stage of the checkout people abandon?

• 1 July 2024
  • 3 replies

And if so, how would this segment be set up?

Or is it only possible to see if the customer abandoned, not at what stage?

My client has a shipping rate that is suspectedly causing a drop on in the checkout conevrsion, this shipping cost is revealed in stage 2 of the checkout when the shipping address has been input.

We want to target these customers with specific messaging. Just wondering if that is possible.

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Hi @GV123 

Klaviyo (via your ecomm integration) captures a checkout-started event and a placed order event; it is up to your flows to determine if that visit becomes an abandoned checkout i.e no order placed within a specific timeframe after checkout-started.

However, it should be possible to create custom events in Klaviyo for each step of the checkout. Those events could be analysed in Klaviyo and flows/segments created. I’ve used custom events for other tracking but not for the checkout, but the principle is the same, More general info here: https://developers.klaviyo.com/en/v1-2/docs/custom-event-tracking

I would also consider using something like Google Analytics to analyse checkout funnel performance to confirm where drop-offs are occurring.

As to checkout messaging, that could be on the checkout pages themselves, in a flow (from the custom events), or you could consider triggering a pop-up. 

Abandoned checkouts contacts are less likely to respond to a survey but you may gain some insight by surveying after a placed order. Along the lines of “ is there anything that would have improved your purchasing experience today?” 

Hope that helps

Andy

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @bluesnapper,

Thanks so much for your response. It’s very hgelpful. 

Alwayws grateful for your insight.

Thanks

Gary

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Thanks, and no problem @GV123 

Regards

Andy