Solved

List not updating

• 29 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I’m a new user and for some reason my lists and segments are not updating automatically. For my segments, I have to update manually for it to reflect the right number of subscribers. I only have 1 list named “All Subscribers on Shopify” but it currently has 0 members. I created a test segment to capture everyone on my profile and it updates to the correct number of members but I have to do it manually. The list; however, just doesn’t seem to capture the members in the profile. I also tried it with a dummy email account. I subscribed using shopify’s newsletter form and the form I created in Klaviyo and for both forms, the list doesn’t seem to capture it. I’ve also turned double opt in off and on for both shopify and Klaviyo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

icon

Best answer by Dov 30 April 2021, 15:39

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @tynify,

First, welcome to Klaviyo! And thank you for sharing your questions with the Klaviyo Community.

We try our best to process all segmentation requests in real-time; meaning, your segment should update immediately after a customer takes an action that qualifies them based on the definition you created (e.g., placing an order or opening an email). In some cases, a high volume of segmentation requests across our customer-base can cause delays and the following wait times are expected:

• If you're manually updating a segment, it can take up to 15 minutes to process.
  • If you're monitoring a segment, updates can take up to 1 hour.

There are two notable exceptions to the above:

1. Segments that rely on relative time conditions (Dynamic segments that are based on relative time conditions update every 24 hours)
  2. Segments that rely on all negative conditions

We have a couple of examples of those exceptions in our article on how segments update.

With respect to the list add, there could be a couple of things happening.

First, I would ensure that you are directing the Shopify sign-ups to a list. You can verify this by navigating to Integrations > Shopify under Collect Subscribers. The list in question needs to be selected here:

Also, if you are using a Shopify 3rd party theme, your theme's default signup forms must also apply the Newsletter tag to new subscribers in order for Klaviyo to automatically sync these subscribers to a Klaviyo list. You’ll want to integrate it to Klaviyo by following this guide. The hidden input tag, <input type="hidden" name="contact[tags]" value="newsletter"> should live within your form’s input group. If this has been done correctly, those filling your Shopify form should have Newsletter under the Shopify Tags custom property on the user profile.

Shopify opt-in settings wouldn’t come into play in Klaviyo. As a next step, I recommend testing with a net-new email address after turning off double opt-in within the list settings. If you’re still not seeing people added to the list, I recommend testing from a separate IP address. If you’re able to add the user from a separate IP, this indicates an IP block that we will have to manually unblock for you. Please do reply if this is the case and I can assist with this.

Thanks and have a great day.

Badge +2

Hi @dov.derin,

Sorry if this reply has been long due. I got caught up with a family emergency and work and was only able to sort out this side project of mine just mine. Anyway, I just want to say that I’ve already fixed the issue when I followed your guide and it seems our IP is not blocked. I tested it as you said by signing up a test email in my shopify newsletter input box with a different IP and another using my current IP address and both seemed to have been picked up by the “Newsletter” list.

However, to fix this issue I had to create a new list called “Newsletter” as the default list in my list and segments section was called “All Subscribers on Shopify” and that list still couldn’t pick up new emails that have signed up. I could show you a picture but for some reason I couldn’t attach a jpg photo in this thread.

Also, If I may ask a follow up question, it seems as if the new list only picks up newly subscribed shopify signups. It doesn’t add old profiles. Is there a way to sync old profiles to reflect on the list as well? Also, the new list titled “Newsletter” doesn't seem to capture email signups through Klaviyo forms. Is there a way to make a list that captures signups from select forms (or all forms) created from Klaviyo? Or does it have to be a segment?

Once again. Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @tynify,

Glad you got your issue sorted out!
The easiest way to sync old profiles to reflect on this list would be to import these past subscribers to this new list you have via a .CSV. This can be done if you have a separate list of these subscribers or if these past subscribers were already caught within a segment. I would also recommend taking a look at the How to Add Subscribers to an Existing List article Klaviyo offers and at the below Community post surrounding this topic.

On the topic of designating a Klaviyo signup form to be adding users to a specific list, @shoshana.antunes has a wonderful Community post about this here:

Hope this helps!
David

Badge +1

Hey @Dov,

Would it be possible for you to help me troubleshoot a similar issue I’m facing? I have integrated following the steps provided in the documentation but newsletter form signups aren’t syncing into the Newsletter List in Klaviyo. Customers who place Orders are feeding through fine.

I’m using a bespoke Shopify theme and I can see the subscribers coming through into the Shopify admin fine. So far I have:

Do you have any ideas of anything else I could try? Happy to give link to my site if you DM me.

Many thanks, Dan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @edgaroutlet,

By default, contacts found within your Shopify account would automatically be synced over as a profile to Klaviyo. However, these synced contacts would not be added to any specific list within Klaviyo. 
As such, if you wish for these contacts from an existing list within Shopify to be added to a specific list within Klaviyo, it would be best recommended to export those contacts from Shopify and manually import them into your desired list in Klaviyo. 
You can learn more about how to import contacts into a Klaviyo list from our Create and Add Contacts to a New ListHow to Add Subscribers to an Existing List, and How To Troubleshoot List Imports articles. 

The way the list integration works in your Shopify settings is actually two-fold - in order to be added to the list, a profile has to have one of the following:

1) Accepts Marketing true in addition to the 'newsletter' tag (most Shopify forms apply the newsletter tag by default).

2) A new (not a historical) Placed Order event combined with Accepts Marketing true. We will not add historical purchasers with Accepts Marketing true to the list in your Shopify settings.

More info on this can be found here.

Are you finding that customers aren’t feeding through a new newsletter signup form into the list? Would love to hear more on any errors that come up.

Alex

Badge +1

Hey @alex.hong,

I don’t any trouble doing manually imports. I’ve been doing that whilst I’ve not been able to automatically import the contacts into a list with an onboarding flow.

What I’m trying to do is add contact to a list to auto-send an email with discount code. Most of these contacts have not made a purchase but I want to create that flow when they add their email to the Shopify Newsletter form I created.

Is this achievable? 

Dan