Solved

Lists and Segments

• 19 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

I am just starting out and not quite understanding the distribution of my imports…

I imported 4,684 contacts into my newsletter list. The newsletter list only shows 1,524 contacts. My total active profiles are 4,356. I have suppressed some, some contacts have suppressed. I only have one static newsletter list to which I have imported contacts.

1. Why am I not seeing the total number of contacts I imported in the newsletter list?
  1. Can a contact exist in multiple segments? 
  1. Can a contact exist in multiple lists?
  1. If I delete a list, will the contact’s profile also be deleted? Or is that a separate process?
  1. I have connected square to my account. Does Klaviyo automatically pull all my contacts over, or do I load them manually? If square pulls them over where are they represented?
  2. My understanding is that the newsletter list should represent all my imports I loaded into that list- correct? Then the segments pull from the newsletter list based on the rules. As an example I import 100 contacts into my newsletter, I expect to see 100 contacts in the list. Then from that list perhaps there are 30 contacts listed in three different segments, but my newsletter list still has 100. Is this correct?

icon

Best answer by Kylie W 19 March 2024, 21:42

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Hi @Lauren M 

Thank you for your post in the Klaviyo Community 😊I’m happy to help here.

1. Why am I not seeing the total number of contacts I imported in the newsletter list? This can be due to the contacts subscription status.
  1. Can a contact exist in multiple segments? Yes it can. A contact will belong to as many segments as it can based on the conditions that are set for the Segment.
  1. Can a contact exist in multiple lists? Yes it can.
  1. If I delete a list, will the contact’s profile also be deleted? Or is that a separate process? This is a separate process. You will only be deleting the List it belongs too.
  1. I have connected square to my account. Does Klaviyo automatically pull all my contacts over, or do I load them manually? If square pulls them over where are they represented? The Square x Klaviyo integration can automatically sync your contacts into Klaviyo (however this is dependant on your setup). The contacts will live in your Audience section and then will automatically assign to segments based on the segments conditions.

2. My understanding is that the newsletter list should represent all my imports I loaded into that list- correct? Then the segments pull from the newsletter list based on the rules. As an example I import 100 contacts into my newsletter, I expect to see 100 contacts in the list. Then from that list perhaps there are 30 contacts listed in three different segments, but my newsletter list still has 100. Is this correct? That is correct.

I think what will help you is clarification of List vs Segment. 

List is a static group of customers. The list can only grow by you importing customers to it, or by customers sign up and joining the list (there are other methods such as use of tags etc). And customers are removed by unsubscribing - manually or by suppression.

A Segment is considering ‘living’. Customers can easily flow in and out of it based on the conditions set for the segment, ie; Customers who purchased in last 7 days. 
If I purchased yesterday, my profile will below to it. But in a weeks time, I no longer will as I purchase more than 7 days ago.

Here is some helpful links:

I hope this information helps.

Kylie