Skip to main content
Solved

Looking for some advvice about cross promoting lists

• 1 July 2024
  • 4 replies

My client has 2 accounts that sell related products, one is knitwear, the other is woven garments, etc.

They are both steeped in culture and have some mutual customers and subscribers to both of their lists (although I’m not sure how much)

We want to expand both of the lists to reach as many people as possible.

What is the best practice when considering a task like this? Both from an efficiency and an ethical stand point.

Can we, for example, add the customers not from GDPR region store 1 to store’s 2 database? 

Or would something like an affiliate cross-promotion campaign be used here?

I’m tending towards option 2 here, but I’m asking about option one to be sure that’s not an option as this is what the client initially wanted to do.

Also, what would be the easiest way to discover what the overlap of profiles on these two accounts is? I’m presuming some CSV downloads and a comparison on Google sheets?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @GV123 - thanks for asking your question in the Klaviyo Community!

To evaluate the overlap of profiles between the two accounts...yes, I would suggest downloading the master list for each account and cross-referencing them in a spreadsheet app. Remember, your unique identifier for each profile is email address. 

Subscribing profiles from one store to a different store without their consent is NOT compliant with email marketing regulations.  Below are two compliant options for you: 

1. Send the subscribers of Store A an email (from the Store A Klaviyo acct) featuring a call-to-action to subscribe to Store B
  2. Export/sync the subscribers of Store A with Meta, then target them with paid ads featuring a call-to-action to subscribe to Store B
  3. Send the subscribers of Store A an email (from the Store A Klaviyo acct) with an incentive to refer their friends to subscribe

I hope that helps! Please let us know how it goes, or if you have additional questions. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +25

Hi @GV123!

To add to the helpful feedback @Adam Ragsdale gave you, here’s one more thing to consider:

I have a client who owns two very similar companies, with complementary products. In their case, sometimes people came to the B2C Shopify store, when what they really needed to do was go to the B2B store to find a product that was better suited to the event planner niche. 

One way we addressed this was by proactively telling people something along the lines of “hey we have this sister company, and the products we offer there may be the better fit for what you’re seeking.” Then we’d give them a direct link to the sister company’s Shopify store, so the customer could choose for themselves where they wanted to shop. 

As long as you clearly connect the dots for them, people are generally open to the recommendation/ cross-pollination. BUT it’s critical you keep the lists separate and respect people’s consent and marketing preferences as Adam shared above. 

Warmly,

Gabrielle

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Thanks @ebusiness pros! Great adds!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thank you so much @Adam Ragsdale and @ebusiness pros for your detailed responses.

Super helpful and answered my question completely. 

I am very grateful to you both!

​​​​​​​Gary