Solved

Mailchimp integration – GDPR field not imported

• 14 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi there,

Just imported our Mailchimp list using the integration. However, the GDPR field we have in the Mailchimp audience doesn’t appear in the profile information at all. So I’m guessing it didn’t import with the rest of the audience data.

I know that Mailchimp tags are not imported automatically, and that’s fine. However, I thought the integration would import the actual fields of the audience, especially something as important as a GDPR field. 

• Any idea how I can include the field in the import?
  • Now I’m wondering what else could be missing from the data? This is just one that I noticed. 

Thanks,

-oo

icon

Best answer by Dov 14 July 2021, 19:45

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @Doubleo,

I am glad to hear you were able to successfully import all of your Mailchimp contacts into Klaviyo!

You are absolutely correct, the GDPR status of the Mailchimp profile is not one of the included data fields with our Mailchimp integration. For all fields that do get pulled into Klaviyo from Mailchimp, I recommend looking at the review your Mailchimp data section of our documentation. I hope this addresses your second bulleted question.

With respect to the first question on including the fields in the integration-based import, any additional fields not included here would have to be manually imported. If you export just the email addresses of these users from Mailchimp and include another column header for GDPR (with a value of yes in the cells below), you can import them into an existing or a net-new list. This re-import will not duplicate the profiles -- it will “refresh” the profiles with the custom property of GDPR and then the value of yes. You can then segment off of these folks who have GDPR consent in Klaviyo using the condition “properties about someone > GPDR > yes”.

I hope that is helpful!

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @dov.derin 

Thanks for the response; very helpful. I do have a couple of follow-up questions

• The import method will just add a custom property. This is good for segmenting. However, it’s not the same as the actual Consent status that is set when you use the built-in forms. Is there any way to set that with an import? 
  • In this method, the GDPR consent is not traceable to its origins once we sunset our Mailchimp account. The profile would state the consent, but nothing about the fact that the person actually checked a checkbox when they subscribed. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

–oo

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @Doubleo,

Glad the reply was helpful! Happy to address your follow-ups.

If by “actual consent status” you’re referring to using GDPR checkboxes on a Klaviyo form, you’re correct that would set the property for $consentThat property is a little trickier to upload because it needs to be formatted in a list array and it needs to be one (or more) of 5 specific values, but is certainly an option you can pursue if you’re looking for uniformity amongst your contacts (say if other’s are filling out a Klaviyo GDPR form which also sets these values). You can find the guide for importing contacts using the $consent field here. In practice, the segmentation would work exactly the same using this method or using the method I outlined above using another custom property.

On your second point, I’m not certain what the user originally did to gain the GDPR status in Mailchimp, whether that was a checkbox or something else. It sounds like you’re looking to not only transfer over their previous GDPR status but also distinguish who specifically consented to GDPR in Mailchimp vs who consents to GDPR in Klaviyo? If that’s accurate, you can include an extra column header in your .csv file when you import the Mailchimp contacts’ GDPR consent. For example, using the column header in the .csv file “from Mailchimp” with the value of “yes” for each contact.

From there, build a segment in Klaviyo to distinguish previous Mailchimp contacts using the column header value in addition to the GDPR consent. Something like: Properties about someone > $consent contains email AND from Mailchimp = yes. That will isolate the users in your Klaviyo account who both came from the Mailchimp import and have GDPR consent.

Hope that was helpful!

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@dov.derin this is great, thank you so much. In terms of updating the $consent field though; I created a CSV file with a single entry, and used the formatting from this page. But the profile wasn’t updated with the email consent. The consent date gets updated, but not the consent value (email, web). What am I missing?

-oo

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@dov.derin just a clarification. It looks like the consent type is actually imported fine, because if I export the profile, I can see it in the JSON file.

However, I don’t see this information in Klaviyo. When I expand the consent details, I only see the timestamp.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks much,

-oo

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @Doubleo,

Thanks for the follow-up information! Yes, happy to help clarify.

While the $consent field will be stored on the profile, it is not expressed visually on the profile-level. You can still segment using the $consent field to isolate folks with certain $consent values, and (as you’ve discovered already) export those profiles containing $consent as well.

Hope that helps!