Solved

Notes field in profile

• 29 August 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello!

I see that the profiles have options for tags and properties but I’m wondering if there is a free text note field, for example, “I met Jill Smith at the annual spam eating contest.” Any ideas?

Thanks!

Lora

icon

Best answer by David To 30 August 2023, 21:48

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @arbrador,

Love the example you gave! 

Although there isn’t a free text note field, I’ve seen a number of members simply using a custom profile property for this exact purpose. 

In another case, I’ve also seen members pass a custom event just to keep track of their notes and correspondence. The notes for the interaction would be stored as the event metadata. This allowed them to go back and see a historic timeline of the notes and interactions. 

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks again David. I tried out your suggestions and here is what happened:

“Although there isn’t a free text note field, I’ve seen a number of members simply using a custom profile property for this exact purpose.”

i found property but what is value? Where do i put the text? In 'custom property"? I did not see a place to enter free text. Any suggestions?

“In another case, I’ve also seen members pass a custom event just to keep track of their notes and correspondence. The notes for the interaction would be stored as the event metadata. This allowed them to go back and see a historic timeline of the notes and interactions.” 

Where do i find ‘custom event’? Where do I find metadata?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

-Lora

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks David, I’ll try to create a custom profile property. 

I’ll also look into  “pass a custom event just to keep track of their notes and correspondence.”

I guess this makes Klaviyo a bit more like a Salesforce app although I’ve never used that.

Thank again!!

Lora

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hey @arbrador,

You can create the metafields and events within the settings menu of Shopify. If you’re using Klaviyo, that would be another great place to store this type of information on customers using various custom properties over there. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you Akers Digital for your response. I don’t yet have a Shopify store and won’t for a while so I’d like to keep my subscribers to my mailing list on Klaviyo. You wrote:

“ If you’re using Klaviyo, that would be another great place to store this type of information on customers using various custom properties over there.”

I found the “custom properties” field but did not see how to enter any free text. Can you explain how to do that? Many thanks, Lora

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

@arbrador ,
If you wanted to create a Notes property, you could type in your short description there.

You could also create multiple shorter properties, things like:

1. Original Contact Source 
  2. Company
  3. Spam Eating National Ranking
  4. Favorite Activities 
  5. Instagram Profile

This way you could potentially segment your list later on as you build the data. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I think I’m finally understanding! I can type anything directly into the properties field so that becomes a free text field. But as you say it’s difficult to segment on that so better to break it down into several properties. But what does the “value” mean? I put “high” but I’m not sure that is what is meant by “value”. Here is a screen shot of what I did. Thanks so much for your patience with my learning curve.

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

@arbrador ,

You're almost there! 

The Property Name would be "Notes" and the Value would be "the reigning pickleball champion". So the value field is actually where you type in the long text field. 

Or property name = activity, value = spam eating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @arbrador,

If you haven’t already, I think you may find it helpful to review our Profile properties reference and Understanding custom profile properties Help Center articles.

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Ah thanks for the tip. I’ll reverse my property and value and take a look at the Help Center article. Thanks much for your swift replies. Amazing!