Skip to main content
Solved

Profiles not entering my segment by location

• 16 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have a problem with segments. I created the segment that you can see below.

Unfortunately, profiles that subscribe to the newsletter are not included in the segment even though the location is correct. Can I ask for help? Maybe I misunderstood something and set it wrong.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hey @czesctomus 

Thank you for posting this question here in the community,

Klaviyo uses IP geolocation to set a profile's location when a billing address has not been received. When someone clicks through a Klaviyo email, subscribes via a Klaviyo signup form, or is otherwise captured by our web tracking snippet, Klaviyo will identify the person and use the IP they are on to set their location.

Although IP geolocation is used as the industry standard, it can sometimes be inaccurate. Here are a few reasons you might see discrepancies between a profile's IP geolocation and where they are actually located:

• We check someone's IP whenever they open an email or are captured by our web tracking snippet. For example, if someone is on a trip to China when they open the email, their IP will reflect this, even if their typical location is in California.
  • IPs are not static, and the location affiliated with an IP is also not static; this makes IP geolocation imperfect.
  • So what I think has happened in your screenshot above where there is ‘no’ location set at all is probably because of one of the reasons above, however I might be wrong.

You can read more about this here

I hope this helps,

Best,
Arpit

Badge

Hello @ArpitBanjara

Thank you for your reply! 

What I meant was more about why these profiles were not automatically attached to the segment I set (country -> Poland)? Have I set something wrong? Should I activate these segments in some way so that profiles automatically join a given segment?

Best

Tomek 

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hey @czesctomus 

Yes Yes, I get your point

Try using only the “country’ Option instead of ‘Locale:Country’ - You can also add that in the same segment with OR condition and keep both. 

Let me know if this solves it. 

thanks

Arpit