Solved

Recurring users on the same list

• 2 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hello all,

I work with a company that sells online courses.

Once a course is sold, we manually activate the account and send out a mail to the user with their login info, and later on we send them a reminder before their course expires.

I set up a flow in Klaviyo that is triggered by a list in which I input all the new users along with their emails, usernames and passwords.

The flow works fine for first time users, however recurring customers are not receiving a second batch of emails.

Ex: If you took a course in Jan, you’ll receive the intended emails normally. However, if you take a new course in June and I add your info + email to the list, klaviyo doesn’t recognize you as a new user and you won’t receive a second batch of emails.

Can you please suggest any fixes to this problem or alternative methods?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your input :)

GD

icon

Best answer by Jessica eCommerce Badassery 4 February 2023, 02:02

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Georges MP  Unfortunately, list and segment triggered flows will never trigger more than once.

There are 3 options here: 

• create a separate list for each course
  • create a segment based on the course they buy and trigger your flow from that
  • Trigger the flow based on the purchase event and filtered by the course they bought

What system are you selling the courses through and how is the data coming through to Klaviyo?

Badge +1

@Georges MP  Unfortunately, list and segment triggered flows will never trigger more than once.

There are 3 options here: 

• create a separate list for each course
  • create a segment based on the course they buy and trigger your flow from that
  • Trigger the flow based on the purchase event and filtered by the course they bought

What system are you selling the courses through and how is the data coming through to Klaviyo?

Thanks for your quick reply Jessica.

I guess the best solution is to create separate a list for each course as you suggested.

The clients that are receiving these emails are buying their courses through our sales team and not our website, so I can’t set it up as a segment.

Finally, I wanted to ask: is it possible to trigger the same flow from different lists?

I appreciate your help and wish you a beautiful day!

GD

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@Georges MP  

If they’re buying through a sales team does that mean you’re manually adding them to Klaviyo? If you’re manually uploading them or adding them one by one you can add a profile property that for instance says what course they purchased and create the segment off of that. 

Unfortunately, you can only have one trigger per flow. So if you want them to get the same flow multiple times you’ll need to either clone the flow and have each one triggered by a different list or segment…

OR you can create a custom event, ex. Joined Course. Events (metrics in Klaviyo) will trigger the same flow more than once. (Ex. Placed order, started checkout) These can also be manually imported or set through the API which you can do with Zapier.

Here is how to manually import events:
https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005081247-How-to-Manually-Import-Historical-Event-Data

Here is how to zap events:

• Set up a form the sales team fills out that adds to a google sheet
  • Trigger the zap by a new line being added to that spreadsheet
  • Send the custom event (metric) to Klaviyo through an action zap
  • Trigger your flow from that custom event (metric)

If you use Stripe to process payments, you can also integrate stripe directly with Klaviyo and use that event (metric) to trigger your flow. Here is the documentation for that: 
https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005082267-Getting-started-with-Stripe