Solved

Segment conditions pulled in the wrong customers

• 8 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I created a segment which I used for a discount campaign yesterday. I wanted this segment to go to people who had subscribed to my newsletter over 90+ days ago and had yet to make a purchase.

However, I had numerous returning customers receive this discount - which wasn’t my intention. I’m trying to understand why there were customers who have already purchased from me in this segment? (screenshot below). I thought the condition ‘placed order zero times over all time’ would have excluded returning customers?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Bobby 8 March 2024, 10:23

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

Hi @Jac,

You were correct in your segment criteria to use “Has placed order zero times over all time” to exclude existing customers.

You were also correct in using it as an AND statement. I would expect any profile who has recorded a Shopify Placed Order event to be excluded from the segment.

A few steps you can take to troubleshoot:

1. If you click into a few of those profiles that are existing customers and received the discount, can you confirm that they have a Shopify Placed Order event recorded?
    • If their historical order data is associated with a different Placed Order metric instead (e.g. a custom Placed Order event, a Magento Placed Order event etc.), they would be eligible to enter the segment
  2. If you check the lists & segments they belong to on their profile, do they still belong to the segment that you had screenshotted above?
  3. Another troubleshooting step is to clone the segment without changing any criteria and then see if these profiles are still included in the new segment
    • This is just to check if the original segment didn’t refresh/update for some reason

Let me know if you go through the above troubleshooting steps and, if so, what you find above!

Cheers,
Bobby

Badge

Hi Bobby, 
thanks for the response. I’ve checked your steps and now I’m even more confused. 
1. Yes, those customers have Shopify placed order events recorded.
2. On their profiles they don’t even belong to the segment screenshotted above?
3. I cloned the segment without changing criteria and nothing changed.

Jac

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

@Jac thank you for sharing the additional detail.

Considering this is unexpected behavior, I believe the best next step you could take to resolve this is to reach out to Klaviyo support.

Since they have access to your account, they could review the segment, the campaign audiences, and profiles in question. They could also confirm if this was due to a bug (not common but possible). I would also suggest creating the below segment in your account to isolate the profiles in question and could be helpful for troubleshooting:

Example Segment Criteria

1. Received email at least once over all time where campaign is “NAME_OF_CAMPAIGN”
  2. AND Placed order at least once before date of campaign send

Would be curious to hear if you’re able to resolve this!

Cheers,
Bobby

Badge

Thanks Bobby, I’ll reach out to them!

Badge

What’s interesting is that I just made that example segment and there are no profiles in there.

Badge

What I’ve found is this:
1. Some of the returning customers had two emails with us and the second (dormant) email would have been included in the campaign. They then used the discount from this on their main email with us.
2. Some people in the list must have a partner/spouse/friend and must have been sent the discount. There’s no way to identify this cause.

What i will do going forward is to create a segment in Shopify for people who have never purchased and then make the discount code active only for those new customers.

This has been a good example of how you have to be very careful when it comes to discount codes and creating segments. Always think about these scenarios.

Thanks,
Jac

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

@Jac ah, that’s interesting. Thanks for following up with the additional discoveries.

Yeah, I’ve seen it’s not uncommon for people to use a secondary email address to receive a discount offer (e.g. from a popup when they first visit the site). Then, insert a more actively monitored primary email address at checkout once they’ve decided they like to order.

Great idea with the Shopify segment!

Cheers,
Bobby