Solved

Segment for profiles that don't open marketing emails

• 1 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hello

How can I create a segment of all subscribed profiles that have not opened any marketing email in the last 3 months? Or have not opened the last 5 marketing campaigns?

Also, if that profile has opened transaction emails from the shop, but did not opened the marketing email, I still want him to be on that segment.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by David To 3 May 2023, 16:20

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hi @miraroz!

To create a segment in Klaviyo of all subscribed profiles that have not opened any marketing email in the last 3 months or have not opened the last 5 marketing campaigns, you can follow these steps:

1. Go to your Klaviyo account and navigate to the "Lists & Segments" tab.
  2. Click on "Create List/Segment" and select "Segment".
  3. Name your segment and add a description if you wish.
  4. Set the "Primary Metric" to "Opened Emails".
  5. In the "Filters" section, click "Add Filters" and select "Campaign Activity".
  6. Select "Has not opened" from the drop-down menu, and set the time frame to "Last 3 Months".
  7. Click "Add Filter Group" and select "Campaign Activity" again.
  8. This time, select "Has not opened" from the drop-down menu, and set the number of campaigns to "Last 5 Campaigns".
  9. Click "Add Filter Group" again and select "Email Activity".
  10. Select "Has subscribed" from the drop-down menu and set the time frame to "Anytime".
  11. Click "Save Segment" to complete the process.

To include subscribers who have opened transactional emails from your shop but have not opened marketing emails in the segment, you can add another filter group to the segment:

1. Click "Add Filter Group" and select "Email Activity".
  2. Select "Has opened" from the drop-down menu and set the time frame to "Anytime".
  3. Click "Add Filter Group" again and select "Campaign Activity".
  4. Select "Has not opened" from the drop-down menu and set the time frame to "Last 3 Months".
  5. Click "Save Segment" to complete the process.

This will ensure that subscribers who have opened transactional emails but not marketing emails are included in the segment.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Badge +1

Thank you.
I’ve tried following the steps but I don’t have “primary metric” and also couldn’t find “campaign activity” in the filter so not sure where to take if from here :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @miraroz,

How often do you tend to send campaigns? If you send campaigns in a routine cadence where your last 5 campaigns sent tend to fall within the the past 3 months, then you can using a broad segment definition of “What someone has done, opened emails zero times in the last 90-days”.

Alternatively, if you were more focused on targeting users who did not open your last 5 campaign emails, you could also be highly specific in your definition. You can use definitions such as “What someone has done, opened emails zero times in the last 90-days where campaign name equals X AND….” while defining your most recent 5 campaigns.

@chelsgrove, I believe there may be some inaccuracies in your response since aspects in your instructions such as “Campaign Activity” and “Last 5 Campaigns” aren’t available segment filters. 

David

Badge +1

@David To 

Thanks

90 days range is ok, but when I choose “opened email zero times” and that person has opened a transactional email (like “order completed”) then it will filter him out of the segment, no?

Even though he didn’t open any marketing emails.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @miraroz,

That’s correct! If you wanted to include members who have opened a transactional email in the segment, I would recommend using the second option I provided of defining each campaign individually. Using this method would also allow you build out additional definitions that would include users who have opened transactional emails but have not opened the last 5 campaigns.

David