Solved

Segment Pulling Incorrect Profiles

• 5 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

I have a segment set up for my Sunset Subscriber Flow and it’s pulling incorrect profiles.

The segment has a condition of “opened email zero times in the last 90 days” and upon looking through the very first profile in the segment, I can see this customer has opened an email in both December and November. It’s January 5th, so both of these dates fall within the 90 days. 

I don’t want to be sending list cleaning emails to individuals who are engaging with our brand. How can I fix this?

icon

Best answer by David To 6 January 2022, 20:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @jessicadriver23,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

I think it would be really helpful if you could share the definitions for the segment you are using to trigger your Sunset Flow. From my experience, this may just be a confusion on the expected outcome of a segment due on some misunderstanding based on the segment definitions. Oftentimes this can be caused by using two conflicting definitions, using an OR condition in place of an AND condition, or vice-versa.

If you haven’t already, I would suggest taking a look and using the example definition we offer in the Creating a Sunset Flow Help Center article. In the event you were using the sample definition in the article to guide you, I would suggest ensuring you are using the appropriate AND/OR conditions to separate out your definitions. In my experience, this is oftentimes the cause of unexpected contacts being caught by a segment. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +5

Hi David, 

I created the Sunset Flow based on the parameters from Klaviyo’s Help Center and is:

Person was added to Newsletter over 90 days ago

AND

Has opened OR clicked an email at least once over all time

AND

Has opened OR clicked an email zero times in the last 90 days

AND

Person is not suppressed

And as I look through several of the profiles set up to start this flow, they’ve opened an email at least once if not more than once in the last 2 months. What can I do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @jessicadriver23,

Thanks for providing the segment definition you are using! Per your segment definitions those users who have opened the email in the last 90-days would be eligible to be captured by the segment so long as they have not clicked the email in the last 90-days. This confusion seems to stem from what I had previously mentioned of using an OR condition as opposed to an AND condition in your segment definitions. 

The segment example in the Creating a Sunset Flow Help Center article actually highlights the definitions as:

As noted in the Help Center article, the rules of “What someone has or has not done, Has Opened Email Zero times in the last 90 days” and “What someone has or has not done, Has Clicked Email Zero times in the last 90 days” are actually separated by and AND condition and not an OR condition as you are using. This sort of confusion is brought up in the AND vs. OR Guide. By using the OR condition instead, this would make it possible for those contacts who have met either or of those conditions to be eligible for the segment. In this scenario, those contacts who, despite opening the email within the last 90-days, so long as they have not clicked on any emails in the last 90-days would be eligible. 

David

Badge +5

Hi David, 

Thank you so much for sending all of that over. I see what you're saying and it makes perfect sense! I appreciate the help!