Solved

Self-Segment Poll

• 28 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
  • Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi all! Very new to Klaviyo, trying to set up my first Welcome Sequence for my Newsletter.

This is what I would like to happen… I need to understand if this is possible.

• In the second email of my sequence, I would like the reader to be able to self-segment via a poll “I’m interested in X” / “I’m interested in Y.” 
  • I would like Klaviyo to use this data to sort those email addresses who answered into segments “X” and “Y”
  • Then, I’d like a follow-up email to be sent two days later to those who did not answer the poll giving them a second opportunity to self-segment.

Am I dreaming? Or is this doable? 

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Dov 30 January 2023, 15:30

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi

The first thought I have here is how have your susbscibers been introduced to your list. If by a pop up then you could profile the customer at that stage either by requesting the select their interest as X or Y or by having two pop ups on pages relevant to X or Y and then passed X or Y as a silent property.

This would be my recommendation as you can then send relevant flow message from the get go rather than asking for infomation.

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040841811-How-to-segment-for-form-results

The alternative option could to be ask customers to update preferences within the flow email. However my thought would be that complettion rate would be low. You scould then put a conditional split in your flow with a time delay and what someone has done zero times since entering this flow as ‘updated email preferences’ as below;

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002779091-How-to-add-an-additional-filter-to-a-single-flow-email

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @kbb,

Thanks for sharing this question with us. And thank you @SeanMcC, for your ideas here.

Hi

The first thought I have here is how have your susbscibers been introduced to your list. If by a pop up then you could profile the customer at that stage either by requesting the select their interest as X or Y or by having two pop ups on pages relevant to X or Y and then passed X or Y as a silent property.

This would be my recommendation as you can then send relevant flow message from the get go rather than asking for infomation.

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040841811-How-to-segment-for-form-results

The alternative option could to be ask customers to update preferences within the flow email. However my thought would be that complettion rate would be low. You scould then put a conditional split in your flow with a time delay and what someone has done zero times since entering this flow as ‘updated email preferences’ as below;

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002779091-How-to-add-an-additional-filter-to-a-single-flow-email

I have a few other options you can investigate - similar to @SeanMcC’s second suggestion, you can use buttons or linked text in your second welcome flow email. This will effectively give the user a choice and when they click on the button or linked text, a property would be updated to reflect that preference. So say you set up two buttons. The user would click on the button X or button Y, the preference would be updated (X or Y). From there, you could create a few segments using the “properties about someone” condition. For example, “properties about someone > preference = X”. and then a second segment, “properties about someone > preference = Y” to separate these groups. The caveat with using the button/linked text method is it requires you to redirect them to another URL when they click the button or linked text. You could easily substitute that button for an input field on your sign-up form (I recommend radio buttons because it forces the user to choose X or Y), or, as @SeanMcC suggests submit their preference through a hidden field on the form.

In terms of your follow-up email question, I also agree with @SeanMcC - setting up a 2-day time delay followed by a conditional split is a great solution. You may find it easier to use “properties about someone > property X is not set AND properties about someone > property Y is not set” in your conditional split. Clone the flow message asking for the preferences and set it down the “Yes” path of the split. In other words, if the property is not > send them down this path to ask again for their preferences. I’m suggesting this set-up for your conditional split definition simply because there are many ways a profile property can be updated and this will ensure if the property does not exist when they reach the conditional split in the flow, they’ll receive the email prompting them to fill out the preference again.

I hope that’s helpful.