• 20 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +2
  • Contributor I
  • 2 replies

We’re a Shopify store that has two broad buyer types:

1. Self User (of the product)
  2. Gift Buyer

I want to segment each buyer type at the point of purchase with a view to adding them to relevant flows, campaigns etc.

NB: I can’t segment buyers based on what products (eg gift v non gift) they buy as our products aren’t differeniated like that ie ‘Gift A’ can be bought by a self user or a gift buyer.

My idea was to ask them to self select on post purchase.

Is this the right approach? If so how would that work?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by KatherineB 20 February 2024, 15:08

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @blaz , it sounds like the best approach would be to use custom hidden profile properties when asking your customers to self-identify in a post purchase flow. This Klaviyo article talks you through it, but essentially you would use this link 

{% update_property_link 'profile_property' 'property_value' 'redirect_link' %}

Where ‘profile property’ equals the property you want to identify (ie. Type of buyer) and the ‘property value’ is the value for each type - in your case perhaps “gift” and “self” - important to note that the spelling and capitalization matters - if you create a property of Gift and gift they will not be counted as the same value in Klaviyo. 

Good luck,

Badge +2

thanks @KatherineB 

Would it be that everyone goes into the post purchase flow and the first email is where they self select as a ‘buyer type’?

In this instance we now have three groups of buyers

1. self user
  2. gift buyer
  3. Unknown (for people who haven’t self selected)

Lets say I want to send the gift buyers down one email sequence and the self users/unknowns down another email sequence.

Would that be done in the existing post purchase flow or would you put them into another/new ‘self user/uknown post purchase’ flow or ‘gift buyer post purchase flow’?