Solved

Two Lists or two accounts?

• 12 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello!

Upfront apology on TMI, but I do think understanding the whole of it will be helpful to anyone who wants to make recommendations.

I am researching for the best option for our specific situation. Our business has one Shopify store;  however, there are general ecomm customers and then another group that shops with discounted pricing using B2B Wholesale Club.

All customers are able to subscribe to our main email list if they want to receive the general/ marketing emails from the company. The B2B list has a separate members-only newsletter which is currently being sent from another app.

A little background: both lists were on separate accounts from this other app, but the main list moved over once we moved to Shopify, and we left the B2B newsletter where it was until things got situated. It is only once a month and includes a lot of content that is community information so not a lot to drive clicks to the store- maybe one product promoted).

So now that I have explained some history, we are now looking into how best to proceed to move the B2B list to Klaviyo if that is indeed the best option (or keep it where it is). The question of having a separate Klaviyo account for the B2B group came up, but I read other posts that say Klaviyo recommends having one account per Shopify store. 

It also needs to stay its own list and not be a segment of the general/marketing list. I have found very little info on using two Lists in one Shopify store. Are there any tutorials or pages on this type of situations?

Also, we import this B2B list within the one Klaviyo account, is there any way to keep the dashboards or workspace separate and organized? We already have several segments, flows/signup forms for the main email list would love to keep it from getting confusing if a novice user is added.

There is actually so much more to this particular situation but will spare it for now. Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom you can provide.

icon

Best answer by retention 12 March 2024, 18:36

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @Marfa, welcome to the community and glad to see you here.  The background is really helpful and something I hope everyone emulates!  Sometimes we get one sentence questions with no context and its really hard to know what’s happening, what platform they’re on, etc. 😀

Now, what you described is a common scenario that I encounter for lots of Shopify merchants that have both a B2B or Wholesale portion of their business, along with their D2C (or B2C) consumer/retail side.

You’re right about the fact that you should maintain a 1 to 1 mapping of Klaviyo to Shopify accounts.  The reason why is Klaviyo doesn’t just sync your customers and email addresses, but also all the other data from Shopify like your Orders and Product Catalog and other customer behavior events as well (Started Checkout, Cancelled Order, Viewed Product, etc). If you had two separate Shopify sites, one for B2B and one for B2C, then indeed, its preferable to have two separate Klaviyo accounts, that you can easily switch between with the same account login.  

However, it seems like you are using a Shopify App in a single Shopify Account to distinguish between your B2B and D2C customers.  You can definitely maintain two separate Lists within Klaviyo, and with a bit of management you an keep them separated. 

For example, you can explicitly exclude your Wholesale Lists from your Campaigns or Flows.  

Excluding anyone from the Wholesale List from this Flow in the Flow Filter
Excluding anyone from the Wholesale List from this Campaign

Alternatively, you can build a Segment that excludes them as well:

Also, check with your Shopify App (Which app is it?), they sometimes also add “Shopify Tags” for anyone designated as a B2B customer.  For example, if the app adds the tag “B2B”-  If that’s the case, you can also do this:

As far as separate workspaces and dashboards, unfortunately there’s not a way to have different interfaces based on your split between retail and B2B customers.  My best recommendation is to make sure to tag all your Campaigns, Flows accordingly so you can filter out the clutter by selecting the Tags in the Klaviyo interface. 

For example, you might tag all your retail Campaigns, Flows, and List/Segments as “Retail” and all your business Campaigns, Flows, and List/Segments as “Wholesale.”  Then when you are working on your Wholesale activities within Klaviyo, you an filter it by that tag “Wholesale” so you only see the relevant items in Klaviyo.

Here’s some more info about Tagging items in Klaviyo:

Hope this helps!

Badge +1

Hi Joseph,

Thanks so much for the detailed information. It is very helpful! I still need to learn more about using tags and will check out the links you have provided.