Solved

Unsubscribes still in list

• 6 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +2
  • Contributor II
  • 3 replies

When someone unsubscribes, they still seem to stay in our newsletter list rather than being removed, is that correct? 

The only way I can truly see how many people are still subscribed is to run a segment that with the rules: In Newsletter List and Can Receive Marketing. 

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 6 February 2024, 12:04

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @chan 

Yes, this is expected Klaviyo behaviour. Contacts remain members of a list irrespective of their email subscription status.

The segment you’ve stated will provide you with the subscribed contacts within a specific list.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Andy

Badge +2

Thank you for confirming

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

One more thing that might help you get more familiar with Klaviyo @chan - there is the option to remove suppressed profiles from your master (newsletter) list in bulk. If this is important to you, you might get in the habit of manually triggering this 1x per month or quarter. 

You’d select “remove suppressed profiles” to achieve this. 

HOWEVER - a few things to help you better understand Klaviyo’s fundamental approach to managing profiles/ lists/ segments. 

1. Klaviyo will never send an email to a suppressed profile - so IF someone’s unsubscribed, or their email had a hard bounce, both of those things will lead to a profile being “suppressed” instead of “active”
  2. So IF there are suppressed/ unsubscribed profiles on your list, there’s no harm in leaving them there. Unless you want to have a super clear count of precisely who is eligible to receive marketing messages on that list. BUT - this leads to #3…
  3. My recommendation is you get in the habit of creating segments to determine who receives your newsletters and any other campaign email you might send. You should always use a “can receive marketing” condition in your segments, so it’s really clear to you exactly how many people will actually receive the message you’re wanting to send - whether it’s for a campaign, or research for building a flow to understand what the potential audience will look like. 
    3b. It’s beneficial to the health of your list and your deliverability if your campaign segments are based on someone’s engagement level with your emails (more engaged = receives campaigns more often, less engaged = receives less often, etc.) 
    3c. This article I wrote for the community about segmenting might help you get started! 

Warmly,

Gabrielle

x

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Just to add to @ebusiness pros excellent answer, removing “Suppressed Profiles” from a given List (e.g. your Master/Main List) still doesn’t delete/remove the Profile from Klaviyo completely.  Remember, a Profile can belong to zero or unlimited Lists and Segments in Klaviyo so that Klaviyo can continue to track behaviors and events. 

If you want to remove the Profiles completely, you should create a Segment (or List) and use the Bulk delete contacts from Klaviyo functionality. 

You can read more about that here:

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Dang, lookit all this hot knowledge! I wish I could pick three best answers. (Or combine them into a SUPER answer!!)

Badge +2

Thanks everyone - super helpful!