Skip to main content
Solved

Weird gmail sign ups - looks like bots

• 29 May 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi there, we’ve recently had a load of gmail email addresses sign up that are bots.

They never open an email, and the names don’t match the dubious email adddresses. Anyone know where these are coming from? Are they bots, and what benefit do the bots have signing up?

S

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Hi @SidHiscox 

Lots of these spam submission going around. I’ve no idea why they bother apart from causing issues or trying to get discount codes. 

The only way to prevent them is with double opt-in and maybe ReCaptcha. 

If double opt-in is not what you want then you can set up a segment like below. Then regularly export this and suppress them. You can also add a similar filter on your flows so they don’t get any initial welcome emails. That does carry a risk of false positives but I haven’t seen any email addresses with + in them unless they are spam.

Hoe that helps

Regards

Andy

Badge +1

I’ve been deleting emails with + in periodically like bluesnapper says, but unfortunately I do personally sign up to lists using + in my email (to filter incoming mail) so it’s not an ideal solution as there will be some genuine subscribers who get filtered out :( Though in my experience as a sender, I’ve not had any false positives either.