Solved

Why do Shopify "not subscribed" profiles still appear as "subscribed" in Klayvio?

• 30 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi!

I’m very new to Klayvio and seem to have synced up the “Newsletter” list in Klayvio with my Shopify account successfully. However, I haven’t switched over from my current ESP yet. In prep, I imported a “suppression” list to Klayvio. I wanted to ensure this list will be kept current when contacts unsubscribe from today, so I “unsubscribed” in my current ESP to test the functionality in Klayvio. I am “not subscribed” in Shopify, but for some reason that hasn’t synced over to Klayvio and I’m still on the “newsletter” list and appear as “subscribed” in the user profile on Klayvio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

icon

Best answer by stephen.trumble 20 May 2022, 03:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hi @rachel1990! If the ESP you’re migrating from is integrated with Klaviyo, then we can update suppressions on an ongoing basis. However, if you’re migrating by manually uploading data (like a suppression list), then we just get the data from that one-time sync, and won’t be able to access new unsubscribes from your old ESP in the future. 

One important thing to note here is that the Accepts Marketing property in Shopify doesn’t exactly correlate with someone’s subscription status in Klaviyo. That property being set to “false” won’t immediately unsubscribe/suppress someone. If they unsubscribe through a Klaviyo email, they will be suppressed right away, but changing Accepts Marketing to False will not do so. 

This article goes into a little more detail: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005080667-Sync-Shopify-Email-Subscribers-to-a-Klaviyo-List#email-subscribers-as-a-dynamic-value3

Badge

I have exactly the same problem.  The response above is helpful to understand what Klaviyo does or doesn’t do in the event someone has an “Accepts Marketing” set to false.  Is there a way to confifure Klaviyo to suppress those emails so the customer doesn’t get annoyed receiving emails when they thought they unsubscribed?  Thanks in advance for the response! :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Yoona 

Thank you for reaching out for further help with customers who unsubscribe from marketing from a shopify or other ESP form. Happy to help!

Unfortunately there isn’t a way to currently automate this 100%. However, what you can do as a work around is to create a new segment where the definition is Properties about someone > Accepts Marketing > is false type: Boolean. This will be a dynamic way to add profiles as the custom profile property is updated from Shopify automatically to keep those profiles in one place. This will also allow you to use this segment to exclude these customers in your flows as a filter and in your campaign sends. Like you said, we don’t want to annoy anyone. 

You will need to monitor and periodically suppress this segment. Do so whenever you perform your regular list cleaning — at least two to three times a year is recommended. To do so, click the Manage Segment dropdown and select Export Segment to CSV.

2020-01-02_11-25-05.png

Head to the Profiles tab and, in the upper right-hand corner, click Suppressed Profiles and upload this CSV file.

2020-01-02_11-54-55.png

You can also exclude this segment from all of your campaigns or as a flow filter in the interim to ensure that you don't email anyone who is not engaged. 

Hope this helps! Thank you for being part of the Klaviyo Community!

Badge

very helpful, thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Yoona 

Glad i was able to help! Best of luck!