I have shopify with klaviyo integration.
My template has newsletter subscription forms and I also use klaviyo popup. People can subscribe and they are added to a klaviyo list. No problem so far.
The issue is, if someone unsubscribe, this creates a bunch of weird issues/conflicts:
- Inside klaviyo their profile will be marked as suppressed, however they still have the “accept marketing” status set to “true” … Why? … it feels extremely awkward to have a “accept marketing” set to true while also being unsubscribed/suppressed… This means, in shopify, this user still looks like a current subscriber.
- If a user unsubscribed and wants to subscribe again using a form from the shopify template, then the user will not be subscribed again, and there are no message being displayed telling the user the subscription failed… This is extremely bad. On the other hand, if the user uses the klaviyo popup to subscribe again then the subscription will work the “suppressed” status will be removed, thats good, but it should also work on standard template subscription forms.
Are these bugs? or intended “features” ? shopify or klaviyo limitations? any potential fix or workaround ?
Best answer by Dov
Thank you for outlining your questions for the Klaviyo Community. And thank you
I have the exact same issue currently, and this is what support wrote back to me:
When a profile unsubscribes it becomes globally suppressed in Klaviyo. Profiles who resubscribe can have their suppression lifted only if :
1) They are signing up via a Klaviyo sign up form
2) They are signing up through a third party which uses List V2 API end point
3) They are added via Quick add in Klaviyo
I would recommend going over this guide to understand how resubscribes work in Klaviyo - https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005078267-Guide-to-Unsubscribes-in-Klaviyo#when-someone-unsubscribes-and-re-subscribes7
I would also recommend sending this over to your developer to confirm that customers are being added to Klaviyo via using the List V2 API end point - https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039666832#when-subscribed-to-list-is-added-to-a-profile2
We are trying to get #2 set up. Hope this helps you!
Additionally, Accepts Marketing is a Shopify-specific property that gets passed over to Klaviyo and we are working towards maintaining consistency with these statuses between Klaviyo and Shopify. Currently, you should be using the Klaviyo subscription status (rather than Accepts Marketing) as the “source of truth” for subscription status inside of Klaviyo.
Thanks and have a great day.