Solved

You must identify a user by email or ID Error (Need Help..)

• 18 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Dear Klaviyo Community,

We have a custom site developed using Laravel & Vue.

Our site works like a service reservation site wherein guest users are allowed to make transaction. But upon putting all the codes and following the contents from the API documents we are still getting issues on the above subject for guest users but if we try a transaction for a logged-in user the thing works.

Are we missing something or is Klaviyo codes is designed for logged-in users only?

We appreciate any response or help that may clarify the above subject.

Thank you in advance.

icon

Best answer by julie.accardo 19 June 2021, 15:06

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +34

Hi @jigabytes,

Thanks for reaching out in the Community!

If you are using email address as the unique identifier within your account, which is the recommended setup, then you will need to ensure that the email address is being passed with the triggering event. Is there a reason why you are not passing this information even for a guest checkout? I would assume that you’d be collecting email address at some point in the guest reservation for transactional communication (i.e. reservation confirmation). 

Also, it would be helpful to have more detail around the specific event that you are trying to trigger and the API calls that you’re making.

Best,

Julie

Badge +2

Hi Julie,

Sorry for reverting too late. We were able to resolve the email error by that time your inputs were helpful.  We just recently went back on the project and found out that even if the code snippet is already there its not triggering to track the activity of the user going to the site.

Does this happen in general to customized sites like us, by the way our site is created using Vue.JS. Any feedback/inputs will be appreciated. Or is there anything we need to send you to further verify this item.

Thank you and keep safe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @jigabytes,

I am glad you were able to resolve the email error! And thank you @julie.accardo for your helpful input on the issue.

@jigabytes, I assume by “code snippet”, you are referring to Klaviyo’s onsite javascript snippet? If so, once you’ve added that snipped (contained in the hyperlinked documentation), Active on Site activity would only trigger for any person who is cookied. This can occur through any of the following methods:

So, first, I would ensure that the user is meeting one of those criteria to necessitate logging the Active on Site metric Second, I recommend checking in with your developer for any potential conflicting code that may be preventing our onsite javascript from logging web tracking events. If the There could very well be something within Vue JS that is preventing web tracking. If other community members have experience using VueJS and had a similar experience in the past, it would be great to have their input here too.

This doesn’t happen in general to customized sites - users who decide to build a custom solution are usually able to follow our guide here to successfully set up their custom solution.

Thanks for being a member of our Community.

Badge +2

HI @Dov,

Thank you for the valuable reply.

Would it have to do something in this scenario that’s why some of the tracking activities does not function?

Scenario:

Our site is a online services booking system, wherein the way a customer transacts is as a “Guest User/Account” only and registering a user account is optional at the end of the Checkout process. So whenever they comeback to book services again, they have to repeat the same process.

Would it be better or advisable to require the customer to logged-in first with a registered account before doing transactions? Coz’ initially when we developed the system we are more almost done with the whole thing then along the way Klaviyo was decided to be used so I guess the original design inside has not considered the components of Klaviyo prior unfortunately.

Thank again in advance for your feedbacks

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hello @jigabytes,

Thanks for your follow-up reply.

Potentially. In order to successfully track users, you would have to meet one of the criteria I outlined in my previous reply.

This can occur through any of the following methods:

So you may find you need to send a Javascript Identify API request when someone creates an account (and make it mandatory to create an account) to ensure that the user is consistency tracked at checkout (in addition to using Klaviyo’s onsite javascript snippet). Alternatively, you can use the Track API to send Klaviyo a custom event someone checks-out or creates an account as your method of tracking their activity.

Also, there is nothing about using a online services booking system that would preclude the ability to log web tracking metrics, you will just need to keep in mind the requirements for logging a web tracking metrics for Klaviyo and also keep in mind that there may be potential conflicting code from VueJS (or another application/plug-in) preventing the Klaviyo onsite javscript from working as it should. This would be best to be investigated by a developer or one of our wonderful partners.

I hope that is helpful!

Badge +2

Hi @Dov,

Thanks again for giving time to respond to our inquiries and clarifications.

I think the system we designed and coded needs to be reviewed and modified to comply with what Klaviyo has on its guidelines. Like what I’ve mentioned on earlier messages, we are almost done with the whole system when we are requested to put Klaviyo inside. It was not yet considered that time to be part of the whole system development design from Day 1 not until the day arrived.

The Dev team may have to restructure or modify the existing components of the system in order to meet the requirements of Klaviyo as per document reference guidelines is concerned.