Recap discussion: [Strategy session] Manage Profiles and Consent in Klaviyo

• 11 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

This post contain resources related to our live training [Strategy session] Manage consent, lists, and profiles in Klaviyo. Whether you attended the training live or you’re simply interested in the topic, you’ve come to the right place!

Session recording

In this session, we cover:

• What marketing consent is and why it's important

• The benefits of double opt-in

• How consent is stored on Klaviyo profiles

• How to manage your customer data within Klaviyo

Key takeaway

Carefully collecting consent, using double opt-in, adhering to unsubscribe regulations and handling data deletion requests are all things that you can do to ensure that your customers trust your brand. They also improve your chances of reaching your customers’ inboxes (deliverability), lower your marked as spam rate, and help your brand to build a strong community of engaged subscribers. 

Additional learning resources

--

Need help? Thread your questions below, or contact our Support team for technical troubleshooting. You can also browse our Agency Partner Directory if you need help on strategy or execution.

3 replies

Badge +1

Hi! I have an explicit ‘Engaged 30 Days’ segment of 11,473 profiles and an explicit + implicit ‘Engaged 30 Days’ segment of 24,016. How do i get the implicit profiles to consent when they have already been receiving marketing campaigns as this is the segment I always use?

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

@emileefranklin Hey there! 

It’s definitely not advisable to send email marketing to profiles with implicit consent. In many regions, this is actually illegal or heavily regulated. Furthermore, you could be risking your deliverability due to the increased likelihood of spam complaints and unsubscribes. In your case above, I’d suggest adjusting your segment to exclude implicit consent profiles and only send to your subscribed segment. You can then try retargeting methods on your website or on social media to encourage explicit opt-ins. 

Hope this helps :) 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @emileefranklin , just seeing your question now!

Echoing Kaila here, I’d definitely recommend only sending to profiles with explicit consent moving forward. This means only sending to the ‘Engaged 30 Days - Subscribed’ segment, and adding the following condition to any other segment you use for sending: If someone can or cannot receive marketing > Person can receive email marketing > Because person subscribed (adding a filter for ‘And double opted in is True’ if you use double opt-in).

As to how to get profiles with implicit consent to opt in, I’ll share my 2 favorite strategies below. Both of them require you to first create a segment containing your profiles with implicit consent using the following condition: If someone can or cannot receive marketing > Person can receive email marketing > Because person never subscribed

The 2 strategies are:

• targeting them with a sign-up form: create a sign-up form and use the Targeting and Behavior settings to show it only to this segment

• retarget them with a Facebook/Instagram ad: enable our Facebook Advertising integration to sync your segment to Meta, then create a lead ad on Facebook/Instagram targeting this segment and syncing the leads back to Klaviyo (view our Getting started with Facebook Advertising documentation)

The great thing about these strategies is that you can also use them to retarget your suppressed profiles!

Hope this helps. If you run into any issues while trying to implement these strategies, I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team.

Cheers,

Mai