10 Questions with June Champion of the Month: Joe Hsieh

• 25 June 2024
  • 1 reply
10 Questions with June Champion of the Month: Joe Hsieh
Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi Community! 

It’s time to celebrate the hard work our Champions contribute to this special Community.

Our Champions are an integral part of peer-led learning and connection in this space. They’re part of an elite group of Klaviyo MVPs who share a constant commitment to helping their peers, sharing their thoughts and strategies about the industry, and creating inspirational content to help all of us learn and grow together.

It’s time to celebrate the third Champion superstar of 2024! 💫

And the June Champion Spotlight goes to (drum roll please): Joe Hsieh @retention 

Joe is a three-time returning Champion and about to hit a huge milestone in his Community career. He is nearing his 1,000th response! 🎊 🎉

In light of these two accomplishments, we wanted to ask this expert partner and Champion some questions about the Community, marketing trends, and the product features he recommends most.  

Let’s get into it! 

Question 1: What keeps you so active in the Community? 

Joe Hsieh: One of the reasons I keep coming back to the community is that I constantly get to learn new aspects of Klaviyo. There’s typically more than one way to solve a problem, so I want to see the different approaches and perspectives.

Question 2: What are the features that every marketer should utilize in their account?

3 features stand out the most to me:

Question 3: What’s a Klaviyo strategy you wish you would’ve put into practice sooner? What was the impact?

One of the more surprising strategies that I wish we used more widely are the price drop and now low stock inventory-triggered flows. These flows drive some of the highest results for engagement and revenue per user. 

Question 4: What are the top 3 segments that everyone should have in their account?

• Engagement tiers based on recency of engagement
  • One time purchasers, recent repeat purchasers
  • Win-back opportunities 

Question 5: What’s a commonly misunderstood feature that you wish everyone understood? 

This has to go to the use and ​​​​​​​targeting of sign-up forms. The Klaviyo sign-up form targeting option for specific segments allows you to target people specific to segments, and to use that for additional calls to action or profile enrichment opportunities.

I think the name “sign-up form” implies that it can only do sign-ups, but it can be used for so many other purposes. 

Question 6: What are your favorite use cases for Klaviyo AI so far? What have you experimented with and what were the results?

I’ve done lots of experiments around Segments AI to quickly build various segments. Though I can build most of them manually, the AI really speeds up the process of setting up the segments.

Question 7: What are some industry trends you’re seeing and how can marketers interact with them to drive revenue?

One of the macro trends that is starting to take shape is the emphasis on zero-party data and finding different ways to better know your customers and prospects. There are many ways to do this already, like quizzes, surveys, and sign-up forms. But I think savvy marketers are finding other ways to enrich their customers’ profiles through more novel methods and channels. Finding different ways to collect information about your customers and prospects will be key to winning in coming years with continued pressure on third-party data. 

The second trend, which is now more obvious, is the use of AI in our day-to-day lives, especially for marketers. As the first initial use case of generative AI has changed the way we do research and writing, the next phase of AI in tools like Klaviyo will make us work more efficiently and productively. The biggest impact, in my opinion, will be in two areas: understanding our data and finding opportunities at scale, and reducing or expediting tedious and repetitive tasks.

Question 8: Can you share any successful examples of email flows and SMS flows that have significantly improved your customer engagement or repeat purchase rates?

One of the more successful post-purchase flows is the Klaviyo “More like this” ​​​​​​​product feed option.  

Question 9: What’s a personal accomplishment you’re proud of?

As a dad of two young daughters, having a job that I love and the privilege to make time for family and friends trumps all. If I had to pick a second place beyond that, it’s the opportunity to meet and work with some of the most interesting celebrities and accomplished entrepreneurs here in Los Angeles. 

Question 10: What hobby, learning, or activity has brought you joy recently?

Playing video games with my kids has allowed me to revisit my youth with them. Some of our favorites are the classic games from the 90s!

Get to know Joe more by checking out his profile, some of his strategies and answered threads below!

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +36

Congrats, @retention ! 🎉