Enrich Contact Profiles

• 6 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
  • Partner - Silver
  • 122 replies

Hello Community,

As a data enthusiast, I love using technical flows to unlock the full potential of customer data. By leveraging the power of automation, I create tailored segments and data stamps that pave the way for unbeatable customization and personalization.

And the best part? You don't have to start from scratch! In Klaviyo we have some examples that can be used right out of the box:

• Enrich first purchase date
  • Enrich SMS subscription date
  • Enrich email subscription date
  • Enrich customer Interest based on product category

I'd love to hear from you! Have you developed or utilized any other technical flows that have helped track customer behavior or add additional data points to your audience? Your insights could help us all take our data game to the next level. Let's share and learn from each other!

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Really great insights @Jakub !

I’ve also found success with collecting Content Preferences as a custom property in Klaviyo to help users self-segment based on the kind of messages they want to receive. For example, subscribers can be given the option to choose to receive either Informative or Promotional content - or both! Segments can then be created which brands can use to better plan their future campaign sends. 

For those who are curious, you can collect this data a few different ways…

1. Sign-Up Forms. Give new subscribers the option to pick what content they want to receive by adding multi checkboxes to your forms. 
  2. Sunset Flow. Maybe a user is disengaged with your brand because they want to know more about sales you are running, but all you have sent them is informative content. Add a field to your Manage Preference page that allows users to update their content preferences, and highlight this option in your Sunset Flow in order to reactivate unengaged subscribers. 
  3. Conditional Splits. You can also infer this preference based on what blocks in your email design subscribers click on. For example, you can assign a specific URL to a Promotional content block in one of your emails in a flow, and if someone clicks on that block you can use the flow update the custom property so that they can continue to see more content like that. Like the below:

Whether in your Welcome Series or Abandoned Cart flows, you can then use content preferences to show dynamic content blocks in your emails to deliver the most compatible message (or offer) to subscribers based on what they have told you about themselves.

-- Ashley Ismailovski

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Ashley I. 

I love third idea to add conditional splits, do you have any success story behind it. Can it be used in a way to increase revenue or engagement of audience? In theory i want to commit to that but it will be a lot of workload to add this to all flows :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Hi @Jakub,

I previously ran a strategy that combined all 3 😊

Sign-Up Forms were used at the top of the funnel for new subscribers to self-segment what they think would be the kind of content they want to receive. 

Mid-funnel we would create segments of users who were semi-unengaged with their “preferred” content, to try to serve them a campaign with non-preferred content to see if that performed better or worse for the user. The same can also be done in flows, like Cross-Sells or Browse Abandonment, to give the user a clickable option they haven’t previously been exposed to in order to measure engagement there. 

Once we have that data, we enabled Conditional Splits based on what we know their preferences to be, and served them more relevant content blocks that way in high-engagement flows like Abandoned Cart. The same approach was also used in Sunset Flows in a last-ditch attempt to re-engage a subscriber by presenting alternative content options. 

As a result, we saw improved deliverability metrics and segment performance as we were not only giving users multiple opportunities to modify and change their content preferences, but also continuously performing list cleaning as a byproduct of these processes. 

-- Ashley Ismailovski

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Love this! We’ve started doing this more as well. 

A use-case of technical flows to enrich profiles - we’ve started for an online butcher brand tagging customers with the actual meat categories they’ve purchased (beef, chicken, lamb, pork etc.) upon order placement.

We then use that when we run campaigns by using segments to identify which customers have those specific profile properties. We can use these profile properties inside flows as well so we are sending relevant content and don’t offend customers that for example don’t eat pork for religious reasons. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@Jakub sure, I’ve done a few of the below.

• Auto tag profiles for list cleaning based on criteria in a segment
  • Use the list cleaning segment to trigger a webhook to auto suppress profiles
  • The same principle above for GDPR profile data deletion requests
  • Use the tag profiles when clicking a link feature on a category banner in the welcome flow to create “Interested In Categories” profile property which you can use to show/hide different product feeds in later flows
  • Use the same above to create a profile property update when clicking on a CTA that excludes people from a BFCM email sales sequence (so they don’t unsubscribe)

I’m sure there are a lot more but that’s what I could remember off the top of my head that I’ve done in the last few months.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@Jakub sure, I’ve done a few of the below.

• Auto tag profiles for list cleaning based on criteria in a segment
  • Use the list cleaning segment to trigger a webhook to auto suppress profiles
  • The same principle above for GDPR profile data deletion requests
  • Use the tag profiles when clicking a link feature on a category banner in the welcome flow to create “Interested In Categories” profile property which you can use to show/hide different product feeds in later flows
  • Use the same above to create a profile property update when clicking on a CTA that excludes people from a BFCM email sales sequence (so they don’t unsubscribe)

I’m sure there are a lot more but that’s what I could remember off the top of my head that I’ve done in the last few months.

Thanks for sharing @matthewstuckings 

Ad1. Can you share examples what criteria works for you in this case?

Ad2. This is interesting can you share how you setup this?

Ad3. You automate the customer request in Klaviyo somehow? I do it manually right now, would love to know you solution?

Ad4. But you categorize customers only based on one click in welcome series email or you have whole strategy scoring in place?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @Jakub,

I previously ran a strategy that combined all 3 😊

Sign-Up Forms were used at the top of the funnel for new subscribers to self-segment what they think would be the kind of content they want to receive. 

Mid-funnel we would create segments of users who were semi-unengaged with their “preferred” content, to try to serve them a campaign with non-preferred content to see if that performed better or worse for the user. The same can also be done in flows, like Cross-Sells or Browse Abandonment, to give the user a clickable option they haven’t previously been exposed to in order to measure engagement there. 

Once we have that data, we enabled Conditional Splits based on what we know their preferences to be, and served them more relevant content blocks that way in high-engagement flows like Abandoned Cart. The same approach was also used in Sunset Flows in a last-ditch attempt to re-engage a subscriber by presenting alternative content options. 

As a result, we saw improved deliverability metrics and segment performance as we were not only giving users multiple opportunities to modify and change their content preferences, but also continuously performing list cleaning as a byproduct of these processes. 

-- Ashley Ismailovski

Wow.  That sure is commitment and diligence in trying to understand, retain and convert users.  Your clients must be happy. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello Community,

As a data enthusiast, I love using technical flows to unlock the full potential of customer data. By leveraging the power of automation, I create tailored segments and data stamps that pave the way for unbeatable customization and personalization.

And the best part? You don't have to start from scratch! In Klaviyo we have some examples that can be used right out of the box:

• Enrich first purchase date
  • Enrich SMS subscription date
  • Enrich email subscription date
  • Enrich customer Interest based on product category

I'd love to hear from you! Have you developed or utilized any other technical flows that have helped track customer behavior or add additional data points to your audience? Your insights could help us all take our data game to the next level. Let's share and learn from each other!

Hi @Jakub.  I just spotted this post while doing research on data enrichment.  I’m a bit of a data geek too.  My partner and I have developed a Klaviyo integration that allows you to append almost 50 demographic dimensions to every Profile (see attached example).

The goal is better customer insight so you can communicate with more relevance and personalize product, pricing, etc….your offers more effectively.  Why would you speak to a retired empty-nester the same way you’d communicate to a young family with children?  I’d love to show you what we’re doing and get some feedback.  That goes for anyone else following this thread. 

Cheers….Jim