Inspiration

How to optimize your Google Ads in Klaviyo

• 4 April 2023
  • 5 replies
How to optimize your Google Ads in Klaviyo
Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi Community! @chelsgrove and I here to talk to you about how to best use Google Ads in your account!

Targeting options are becoming more restrictive as we move towards a  “cookieless word” (at least in the USA), and our marketing efforts in Google have become more challenging. Google continues to deprecate cookie-based audiences and evolve towards a reliance on first-party data.

Why integrate with Google?

With the Google integration, Klaviyo gives you the necessary tools to set up powerful audiences and optimize Google’s Smart Bidding algorithm. 

By syncing Klaviyo segments with Google audiences you now have the ability to re-engage with past customers, target audiences that share similar traits, and exclude certain profiles based on specific criteria. This integration streamlines your Google Ads strategy and allows for more efficient and effective targeting and bidding.

Best practices 

We learned the best ways to use these Klaviyo segments is by providing Google with conversion data, using segments as an audience signal for smart bidding campaigns (e.g., Performance Max, certain Youtube campaigns, etc.), and through remarketing to past customers (e.g.,Winback segments, replenish reminders, general 30-day remarketing audiences, etc.). 

First-party data is also more reliable and accurate compared to third-party data, which can be incomplete or outdated. With customer lists, you can retarget existing customers or reach out to lookalike audiences, resulting in a more personalized and effective marketing strategy. 

Final Words 

However, this strategy is only as good as your customer data. We strongly recommend that you focus on creating meaningful customer segments. This can be done by using purchase history, view product information, or customer surveys.

Overall, leveraging first-party data through customer lists in Google is a smart way to optimize marketing efforts and improve your business outcomes.

-@Akers Digital & @chelsgrove  ( Tim Akers & Chelsea Grove) 

Want to talk further about all things ecommerce? DM me or connect on our partner page, Akers Digital!

💥 Big News 💥 - Klaviyo launched a new Google Ads integration course  in Academy TODAY! Get equipped with all the resources you need to conquer Google ads confidently! 

Resources available to keep learning and other resources created by Team Akers: 

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

@Akers Digital and @chelsgrove I especially love this part “By syncing Klaviyo segments with Google audiences you now have the ability to re-engage with past customers, target audiences that share similar traits, and exclude certain profiles based on specific criteria.” 

I can see how that would be super helpful for companies who have a large list, with segments that have gone inactive and need to be reactivated. Also for targeting customers who are still fans of your brand, but not interested in getting marketing emails. 👀

~ Gabrielle

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Thanks @ebusiness pros ! Finding good segments to target your marketing is super beneficial. 

One thing to note, the audiences need to be at least 1,000 matched profiles in Google to really use them. We have seen roughly an 80% or so match rate between our Klaviyo contacts and Google, but it varies greatly by client.

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Thanks for posting @Akers Digital! This strategy has helped us with our facebook marketing, looking forward to trying out in our Google account!

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Thanks for posting @Akers Digital @chelsgrove this is great information!

I’m interested to hear more about how you go about creating your customer segments:

creating meaningful customer segments. This can be done by using purchase history, view product information, or customer surveys.

Do you have a process - like looking at engagement first, then purchase history (or vice versa) - and how granular do you go? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Akers Digital,

Great examples how to retarget, exclude or test audiences. Do you have any interesting use cases how the google ads integration can help to growth email subscribers list?

I thought maybe about dedicated ads campaigns to personalized LP with embeded Klaviyo form and with integration you can target unengaged unsuppressed profiles and exclude current email subscribers?