Solved

ADA accessibility issue with SMS pop up sign up forms

• 28 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Dear Community,

We are working closely with an Accessibility agency who is testing and auditing every single new element we add to our website to make sure we are compliant and fully accessible. So they tested the new SMS pop up sign up form from Klaviyo and came back with 16 issues, including 1 critical and 15 high. Those issues are mostly not design related but require some coding work…

I was wondering if any of you has faced this issue and how you were able to fix it.

Is there someone at Klaviyo dedicated to those Accessibility issues? We basically cannot use this tool if it is not fully ADA compliant.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 1 March 2023, 22:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @acjounet

Welcome to the Community! Happy to help! 

While Klaviyo-made signup forms are ADA Compliant to some extent, as mentioned in our Help Center documentation, if you want to make a form that is fully ADA compliant, I’d recommend creating a legacy form so it can meet the necessary standards! As Legacy forms are custom-coded, you will have full control of what they do and how they look. We have documentation on how to get started with different kinds of forms below:

How to Add and Customize a Legacy Popup

How to Add and Customize a Legacy Flyout

How to Add and Customize a Legacy Embedded Signup Form

How to Add Custom Fields to a Legacy Form

If you don’t feel comfortable custom coding yourself and don’t want to reach out to a partner to create this for you, there are also a number of third-party form providers we integrate with, which you can browse in our Integrations Library filtered by the "Email Capture" category.

I will also mention that the ability to further improve ADA compatibility for Klaviyo-made Signup Forms is a commonly requested feature. We understand the importance of web accessibility and helping our customers create compliant forms is important to us. While w do use WebAIM.org to identify accessibility issues, we recognize there is still room to grow in this.

Finally, I’d recommend checking out these  design recommendations here regarding more ADA information if you choose to make your own form as well as this other Community thread to gain more insight! 

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge +1

Hi Taylor,

Thank you for your reply.

I went through all the accessibility issues in details with our agency and there are 2 critical issues that would be very easy for you guys to fix in the code of the pre-set templates.

Is there anyone I could talk to at Klaviyo to see how we could make it happen? It woudl be beneficial for all your clients.

We are a small company and can’t afford to pay a third party to code for us a page supposed to be part of our Klaviyo plan and tools…

Thank you in advance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Hi @acjounet

Thank you so much for sharing this. We love the feedback! I have reached out with a Product Manager who is interested in working with you to learn more and would like to set up a time to chat. They will be reaching out to you soon. Thanks again!

~Chloe