Skip to main content
Solved

All my email sign ups default to never subscribed

• 16 May 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi, 

I created a sign-up form with integration on my Shopify store. The email subscribers should be added to a newsletter list on submitting the form, but they don’t and their profile defaults to ‘never subscribed’. 

How do I make sure they are added to the list and they are marked as ‘subscribed’? I’ve looked through all the form settings and I don't seem to find an option.

Is there a way to bulk move everyone that is now defaulted to ‘never subscribed’ but actually did to ‘subscribed’? 

Seemed a pretty banal issue but I don’t seem to be able to crack it. 

Thank you

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +23

Hi @Ed_Bardo,

I’m not familiar with Shopify - but here’s what I know about Klaviyo: When a list is created, I believe it defaults to double opt-in, which means the subscriber receives a confirmation email after submitting the form. If they don’t click the link in the email, then they haven’t technically “subscribed”. While Klaviyo remends double opt-in, you can change the list settings to single opt-in if you want - there are pros and cons to both options.

To check the settings, open the list, click on settings, then click on consent.

If you update the list settings to single opt-in, future customers who fill out the form will be added to the list. If you change the list settings, you can also export the “never subscribed” customers and upload them to the list, and I believe there is an option to mark them as “subscribed” when uploading.

If your list is already set to single opt-in, then unfortunately I’m not sure what the issue is.

Good luck!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Ed, I have the exact same problem!!!!! I cannot find an answer :(

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I even removed double opt in

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Hi @whitedaisyuk @Ed_Bardo 

If it’s not a double opt-in issue, and you’re using a Shopify form then it might be your Shopify/Klaviyo integration that needs checking: https://www.klaviyo.com/integration/shopify (see below)

Regards

Andy