Solved

Customer profile - email not subscribed

• 29 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hey all, i’m new to klaviyo and have a query. Shopify is showing that we had a customer create a profile by signing up to our email newsletter. My customer section on shopify is showing this customer and states ‘Subscribed’ - To check that my flows were running as set up i went into klaviyo and there was no record that any flows were sent. I found the customer on klaviyo (via their email) however it says that the customer never subscribed so the flow was never triggered to send the welcome email. I’m just confused as klaviyo now has the customers email and shopify shows as subscribed. As our store is in the pre launch phase i want to make sure it’s not an error as it could really harm our conversation if the flows are not being triggered. Any help much appreciated. Thankyou. 

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 29 September 2023, 23:08

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Welcome to the community @molliea15 

You need to enable your Shopify sync settings in Klaviyo. This is necessary to keep your opt-ins aligned between Shopify and Klaviyo. Below is the set-up for syncing Shopify opt-ins so that those contacts are added to a Klaviyo list you specify and will then be flagged in Klaviyo as ‘subscribed’.

You can find the sync settings below on Klaviyo under INTEGRATIONS > > SHOPIFY 

Note that this will only sync Shopify opt-in contacts from when you enable it and not historically.

You may also want to sync from Klaviyo to Shopify so when a contact subscribes via, say, a Klaviyo form, their subscription status will also be updated  in Shopify. The settings to do that are under the ‘To Shopify’ tab below. 

Hope that helps

Andy

Badge

Hey Andy, this is great and really helpful! Thanks for your response! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

No problem @molliea15 

Have a weekend when you get to it!

Regards

Andy

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @molliea15

Happy to help! 

Building off @bluesnapper’s insights, if you have integrated with Shopify and still experience this, it’s important to know that there are certain methods of adding a profile in Shopify, that will result in a Klaviyo consent status of Never Subscribed with in a yellow checkmark for the email channel on a profile in Klaviyo. For example, subscribers that provided their information in your Shopify store when starting a checkout without opting in to email marketing or if they didn’t execute the checkout process. would have a consent status of Never Subscribed. 

Again, these profiles are able to receive emails, but you should exercise caution when contacting them. Depending on your local regulations, you may be permitted to email these profiles if you believe they have implied consent, however, as this is not explicit, that is why the ‘Never Subscribed’ status is attributed to them. I’d recommend checking out our awesome documentation to explain understanding this further as well as implementing good list cleaning practices:

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor