Solved

Double Opt Alternative to prevent list bombing: reCaptcha vs honeypot

• 8 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
  • Contributor III
  • 5 replies

Hi there, 

We’re looking for a double opt-in alternative to prevent our list from being spammed. I’ve tried setting up a honey pot but got lost at which point I asked Klayvio support who told me I needed to use a 3rd party integration (can’t find any but suggestions welcome). I beleive recapthca isnt really an option either unless it can be integrated by a developer into the form, is this the case?

What are the best practices here? Can any one provide some actual guidance on how to set up a honey pot or recaptha or is double opt in really the only option?

Shop built on woo commerce.

Thanks, 
Rob

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 8 November 2023, 17:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @iRob

Thanks for sharing your question with us! Happy to help! 

I’d check out the helpful documentation our support team member shared on how to integrate reCaptcha on your WooCommerce site to help you get started on this option! The document seems to have clear step by step instructions on how to set this up. If you run into trouble the WC support team should be able to help you get this installed.

Additionally, yes creating a honeypot to protect your web forms from spammers does require custom coding so Klaviyo isn’t able to set this up for you. However, you can reach out to one of our partners to help set this up for you if you don’t feel comfortable custom coding and want this option.

I wonder what some of our Champions think about these strategies vs enabling double opt in? While double opt in does require the least amount of effort, I wonder if others have strategies or thoughts to share on best practices. @Ashley I.@Kylie W any contributions here? 

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge +1

Thanks so much for the feedback @Taylor Tarpley

We’ll follow up with your suggestions. Yes, we’re trying to optimise the form to be as simple as possible. Obviously double opt in has its place and encourages the use of real addresses however we’re wanting to see if the use of single opt in will help with list growth. 

Looking forward to further contributions from @Ashley I. and @Kylie W 

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Thanks for mention @Taylor Tarpley 

Outside what you mentioned, I can’t contribute any new ideas to help @iRob 

Some things that can be done in addition (although they are ‘down the track’ of the subscription) is to make use of flows to keep your list clean and healthy. I know this does not help with the start of keeping a clean list, but does continue to help and also aid with those subscribers who were initially genuine but have since dis-engaged. 

This would be the Sunset Flow ( see here;https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017518492)

I hope this is of some assistance

Kylie