Has Anyone Used a Conversational Pop-UP form?

• 15 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi all, 

Trying to optimise our pop up form to entice more sign ups. Has anyone manage to create a conversational type pop up using Klaviyo?  Is multi-checkbox on sign up form the only option? 

Open to your thoughts / view on conversational pop up versus discount offer pop up. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @jolynnyy

Welcome to the Community! Love that you want to try to create a more informal, conversational form to gather customer information!

Would love to hear how you first discovered conversational style pop ups and what attracts you to them? Could be helpful for other users of ours to investigate! A possible replication on this in Klaviyo would be to use our Multi-Step Signup Forms and target them for whatever  goals you are looking to accomplish or specific information about customers your want to gather. However, there is a 4-step limit to our signup forms. Additionally, it should be noted that you can use our Klaviyo forms to for sharing discounts with customers, but also using our forms to collect pertinent customer info that can be saved as custom properties  in a profile. This could mimic what you’re looking to collect from conversational forms? 

However, if you are looking to utilize a third-party form, you can redirect existing signup forms to Klaviyo using API to send the form data into Klaviyo. However, if you are not familiar with API, I would recommend reaching out to your dev team or a Klaviyo Partner to build this out for you!

I would love to open this up to see what others users might think of this kind of form or if they’ve had any prior experiences with them? @NJVasic, @In the Inbox, or @Travis what are your thoughts? 

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Userlevel 6
Badge +29

Thanks, @Taylor Tarpley

Hi @jolynnyy 

If your ultimate goal is to increase signups, I have always found limiting the number of fields/checkbox/radio buttons to the absolute minimum to be the best. The more you require the user to provide, the more friction it causes and the lower acquisition rates you’ll likely receive. 

I have also found that users want to have a good “Exchange of Value” for their email address. This is why you typically see popups featuring discounts for ecommerce business because its a good perceived value for their email. However, discounts aren’t the only exchange of value available pending on your business. 

I haven’t experimented with conversational popups much, but in the context of trying to capture more information about a customer (ie. their preferences, demographic info, product interests, etc.) I tend to keep the popup basic (Email capture only) and then use the welcome/sign up email as a tool to both start the conversation with a new subscriber, but also use clicks within the email to make assumptions about their interests or straight up ask them questions. 

For example, I might have a welcome email sent to new subscribers for an apparel company. The popup was a basic email capture. But in the email, I might feature Women’s and Men’s apparel via two different images/buttons in the email and if they click on men’s, I can capture that interest and create a segment for future use.

I use this feature in Klaviyo a lot: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005255248-How-to-Use-Links-to-Collect-Information-About-Your-Recipients

But, if you are trying to built rapport, get them to subscribe first, then use your email or SMS messages to nurture them and build a longer-terms relationship. 

I hope that helps!

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

@jolynnyy have you tried a quiz app like quiz kit, quizify or quizlet?

This will allow for conversational-like questions, allow for email/sms capture, and also allow for recommended products to be shown based on the answers..

I agree with @In the Inbox here.. it’s best to keep popups who’s goal is to capture emails with a limited number of steps/fields..

However, if the goal is to capture more info about visitors, than using a quiz app will help you achieve this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Yes, Klaviyo allows you to create conversational pop-ups using their "Form Builder" feature. With this feature, you can create forms that ask questions and provide options based on user responses.

To create a conversational pop-up, you can follow these steps:

1. Go to your Klaviyo account and click on the "Forms & Landing Pages" tab.
  2. Select "Pop-ups" and click on "Create Popup".
  3. Choose a template or create a new design.
  4. Click on "Add Block" and select "Form" to add a form block to your pop-up.
  5. Customize your form by adding fields and options based on your desired conversation flow.
  6. Save and publish your pop-up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +43

@jolynnyy all of the above are awesome advise. Taking the quiz app is another great way indeed. A tool like typeform.com can also work wonders if you really want to go custom on this.

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO