Solved

Input Text Field with Multiple Lines

Badge +2

Is there a way to add a text input field that is multiple lines (similar to the input box that I’m writing this question within). I see Klaviyo has a text input block for forms but it’s restricted to one line.  I would like to have multiple lines where user can right multiple lines of text with paragraph breaks.    Is this possible? If not, what other service provides this that can be integrated with klaviyo?

icon

Best answer by David To 9 July 2021, 21:13

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @hotroddy,

Great question!

You are correct that Klaviyo’s input fields for signup forms currently only support one line entry and does not accept line breaks. Other alternatives available to you to have multi-line input fields would be coding and building your own signup form, using a third party signup form which has an integration with Klaviyo, or setting up a redirect to a Klaviyo list for a third party signup form which does not have an integration with Klaviyo. 

To learn more about building your own custom signup forms or setting up a redirect for a third party signup form, I would recommend taking a look at the following resources Klaviyo offers:

I would also suggest finding a Klaviyo partner or working with a developer to build or set up a redirect to an existing signup form as well if you were unfamiliar with coding. You can also find a number of integrations that connect with Klaviyo from the Klaviyo Integrations Directory which includes third party apps, tools, and signup form providers who have built their own connection to Klaviyo. 

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Where can we vote to put this on the product development roadmap? Even mailchimp has this capability. Yikes! That’s embarrassing. 

Badge +1

This can’t be real. Klaviyo, one of the leading email marketing tools around, does not have the “Texarea” field??? 

Still, in 2022?

This can’t be accurate.

However, I see no way of creating a textarea field in the klaviyo builder, or a place to change the line height of a field.

​​​​​​​What the heck

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @SIMPLTRIX,

Line height for input fields can actually be adjusted under the form’s input field styles defined as the Input Field Height setting. However, keep in mind that changing the line height does not equate to supporting multi-line input.

At present those text input fields available in signup forms are input fields rather than textareas, though I personally can see benefit in using textareas rather than input - which I’ll share with our Product team. Would you also mind sharing some use cases or ways you plan on using a textarea field in a signup form to add more context?

David

Badge +1

Sure, imagine you are using klaviyo forms for a “request a worker” form 

That form might require a job description, which is a perfect place to use a textarea

Also any form that might require some kind of “comments” or “notes” 

And regarding the input field height, I saw that but its irrelevant - as A) its horrible visually and B) it changes all the fields not just the one you want

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It's amazing: Klaviyo has many good features, but it doesn't have a textarea input field. Imagine you have to enter more than two words in a form field, the description of a problem, for example. You'll go crazy if it's all on one line. Please Klaviyo engineers, finally give us a textarea input field! Thank you! Hanibal Lecter, Switzerland

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@David To - Can you please provide an update? I am amazed that a text area field is still not available as a block in the form builder. Is this on the roadmap?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Kyle K,

At the moment, I don’t have any updates I can provide on this specific product feature. I can say that our product teams have been made aware of this feature request and are still exploring it further. 

I’ll be sure to share any news I hear regarding updating the input fields to a text area field. 

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@David To - Thank you for the update.

How could one of the most fundamental input fields on almost any contact form not be an option within the builder? Are contact forms not a priority for Klaviyo?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@David To - Could a textarea input field be added to a form using this custom field method?

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005080127-Add-Additional-Fields-to-a-Sign-Up-Form#add-fields-to-an-embedded-sign-up-form

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Kyle K,

Signup forms, which are oftentimes one of the first things your customers are greeted with on your site certainly are a large priority to Klaviyo.

In fact, we launched some exciting new product enhancement such as signup form scheduling, SMS disclosure block, and enhanced display settings in recent months just to name a few. 

I also don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to use a textarea input field for a custom/legacy form. In fact, using a custom/legacy form was what I’ve previously suggested. Custom/legacy forms which are built using HTML/CSS offer you full control of the form. This means you can certainly build your own form using an input field that utilizes a textarea instead of a single line input like in our native form builder.

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@David To - Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately we can’t use a custom legacy form because we need to be able to build these quickly using the built in form builder within Klaviyo.

Is there any way to receive multiline input text from a customer within a form? That seems crazy to me that there is no option.

We can always make the one line text input taller on the front end to look like a textarea input field, but the field will still only display the content one one line no matter how long the content is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Kyle K,

At present there wouldn’t be a way to use a multiline text input field in a signup form. The limitation is that those input fields are input elements rather than a textarea element. I’ve previously mentioned this constraint in one of comments I made earlier which also expunges on the input field height setting:

Line height for input fields can actually be adjusted under the form’s input field styles defined as the Input Field Height setting. However, keep in mind that changing the line height does not equate to supporting multi-line input.

At present those text input fields available in signup forms are input fields rather than textareas, though I personally can see benefit in using textareas rather than input - which I’ll share with our Product team. Would you also mind sharing some use cases or ways you plan on using a textarea field in a signup form to add more context?

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@David To - Thanks for the response.

I do think the team needs to evaluate the fields available. A text area field is one of the most basic fields needed for a form.

Also, the fact that Klaviyo dropdown fields don’t function like a standard HTML dropdown (it doesn’t use a <select> element and you have to clear out one selection to change your selection) is another limitation of Klaviyo forms.

I suggest the Klaviyo team should review those two form elements as they are crucial to most forms.

Badge +2

Adding my support for a textarea field.

Our use-cases are:

• Webinar registrations and enabling people to submit questions for the host
  • Simply being able to add more detail to a submission - details that can’t be summarised in drop down fields.

Adding additional support for this feature. This is honestly about to be a deal breaker, which is drag, because the service is otherwise perfect for our use case.

Also, the links that are provided in the Answer post are all 404.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @KJHeartbreaker

Thanks for pionting this out! 

We have moved our documentation on how to create legacy forms to our developer portal here!  

Hope that helps!

-Taylor 

I am also adding my support for this VERY basic feature.  A contact form is a way for a customer to contect you ABOUT SOMETHING. Simply sending me their email address doesn’t tell me WHY the customer is contacting us. As others have mentioned the field is standard on all other form builders and you can’t really call it a “contact us form” without giving the customer a place to type in what they are contacting you about.

I see this is a year old and still hasn’t been addressed which is a bummer.