Solved

Popup form showing to existing Klaviyo profiles (but it's not supposed to)

• 15 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello! I’ve just created my first popup form, meant to signup subscribers.

I’ve set the targeting to “Don’t show to existing Klaviyo profiles”, yet it still seems to be showing to existing profiles. I believe the profiles have been cookied, as they got to my website by clicking through a Klaviyo Campaign email. 

I sent this test Klaviyo campaign to about 200 of my most engaged subs (imported from Mailerlite), and two of them signed-up again (on the popup form). I also had a friend click through, and she got the popup. 

Any idea why this is happening, or what I can do to fix it? 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by standoutecom 15 March 2024, 08:37

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey @LMayberry . Klaviyo’s cookie can track and identify site visitors through an auto-generated ID. The setting "Don’t show to existing Klaviyo profiles" makes sure cookie'd people don’t see your pop-up.

However, in the case that they do see it, the most likely reasons are:

• they recently cleared their cookies
  • they are using a new device
  • they are visiting your site with an incognito browser

Unfortunately, they’ll be treated as a new, anonymous visitor. I don’t think at this point there is a way for Klaviyo to mitigate this. 

Bottom line: Don’t sweat it 😊

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @LMayberry 

Is ‘Email to website tracking’ enabled (below). Set here:

https://www.klaviyo.com/settings/email/attribution

That should cookie any recipient who clicks from your emails unless they’re blocking them.

On a related point, not all of your Klaviyo profiles will have opted in to marketing. If that’s a consideration, you may want to show your pop-up to profiles who are not already subscribers rather than only to profiles not in Klaviyo.

Regards

Andy

Badge +1

Hi @bluesnapper and @standoutecom 

Thanks for the replies! Yes, that checkbox is checked. 

I’d think it was an incognito browser or new devise or something, except that:

1. It seems like they are all getting the popup. It’s not isolated. 

2. My friend who reported she saw the popup was actually there to help test my Browse Abandonment Flow, which she did successfully. She triggered the flow and received the email, which means she was definitely being tracked. 

I’ll try changing the setting to not show to just the subscriber group (instead of all Klaviyo profiles). Maybe that will make the difference somehow?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @LMayberry

On top of all the great replies, another Champion @retention gave an insightful reply on why this could happen on occasion. I’d suggest checking it out to gain more insight as well! 

Hope this helps!

-Taylor