Skip to main content
Solved

Quick Queston about Understanding targeting and behavior settings for sign-up forms

• 23 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Once again I am turning to the wonderful Klaviyo community for help;

I saw that my sign up forms have not been shown to my visitors. When trying to find out why I found this article : https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4413544555547

In my forms in the ‘targeting’ settings I had targeted visitors based on segments they are in. (These segments are based on the visitors behaviour, for example how often they browsed my shop.) 

But as it says in that article:

Based on your Customer Privacy settings in Shopify, Klaviyo may not track onsite events (and thus, not apply certain types of form targeting) for visitors to your Shopify store in the EU, EEA, UK and Switzerland, unless they have provided consent.

Overall, if a visitor hasn’t consented, and would otherwise have been included per the targeting requirements, they will not see the form because they will not be identified. Targeting for these visitors will apply as follows:

• If you select “Don’t show to existing Klaviyo profiles,” the visitor will still see the form because they won’t be identified as an existing profile.
  • If you select “Target visitors in a list or segment,” the visitor will not see the form (even if they are otherwise in the list or segment) because they will not be identified.
  • If you select “Show to all visitors,” the visitor will see it.
  • If you select "Show to any existing profile," "Show to email subscribers only," or "Show to SMS subscribers only," the visitor will not see the form because they will not be identified as an existing profile, email, or SMS subscriber.
  • Certain custom triggers based on cookie information and user properties will not trigger due to a lack of identification.
  • Targeting by location is not affected.
  • Targeting to show on device type (desktop, mobile) is not affected.

Based on the parts I highlighted I am assuming that this is the reason why my visitors did not see my sign up forms?

Am I also correct to assume that whether or not Klaviyo tracks these onsite events depends on whether or not & which cookies the website visitor has agreed to? 

And since I won’t know which cookies the visitors will agree to I have no way of knowing whether the  the sign up form will be shown to them or not (& wether the correct sign up form will be shown to them -since I have a couple different ones*), correct?

Are all my assumptions correct?

But even if i create one single sign up form for all visitors that does not target based on segments or past behavior, I would still not want visitors who have already signed up to my email list to be targeted by that sign up form again. 

So I would still have to choose “targeting” → “show to specific profiles in a list or segment” → tick the “exclude these lists and segments” → choose “newsletter” (my only list).

But will I then have the same issue as above ? “If you select “Target visitors in a list or segment,” the visitor will not see the form (even if they are otherwise in the list or segment) because they will not be identified.”  

I’m hoping it might be different for “exclude these lists and segments” → “newsletter”, since the people in my list have actively opted in and expressed consent and therefore KLaviyo should know whether they’re in my list, regardless of the whole cookie, privacy etc stuff….? Or not?

How are other EU based shop-owners here on Klaviyo going about this?

I’m also open for advise and any kind of suggestions for the best course of action.

Thanks in advance for your help, really appreciate it!

*For context: I have different segments and matching sign up forms with different % of discount as sign up incentives based on customers behavior (for example new visitors see the sign up form with 15% off, once they browsed the site 3 times or more they see a different sign up form with only 10% off etc). 

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

Hello @Lucia937  If we look this from a customer and GDPR point of view then it is working as expected.
The customer does not want to be identified and we can’t track their behavior to send them targeted comms.

But here is what we can do:

• Optimize consent banner to make the language clear that encourages users to accept the cookie tracking.
  • Use different targeting criteria like device type, UTM parameters because they are not impacted by consent

My suggestion would be to focus on consent banner optimization to improve consent optin rates.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

HI @Maxbuzz 

ok so you’re saying that my assumptions are correct, right? I’m just trying to understand.

I was worried I had made some mistakes when setting this up and that that’s the reason why no-one saw my sign up forms.
Also, will choosing to exclude those who have already opted in to my newsletter list not work reliably  either? Because for a beginner like me this would be the easiest option rather than using UTM where the chances of me making a mistake with the set up are higher.

I used the standard-cooky banner from shopify but I will look into ways on how to optimize this. But even if I get more people to agree to cookies this way I am wondering if it might be easier to just have on single sign -up form instead of How I had it set up based on this article https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034336572 

I have not worked with using UTM parameters but will look into that, and try to learn how to use this, thanks.